DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wavey: Hey all, just picked myself up a 1998 Ram 1500 and it came with 285/75/16's on it. As I was driving it home I noticed the Speedo and GPS were 6mph off, as in the truck was showing 6mph slower than reality. From my research, 1998 is a tough year because late models needed them to be programed. Mine was built in November of 97, but I can't seem to the speedo gear (if it has one). Does anyone have an idea? Any help would be much appreciated, I hate to see this truck rack up more miles than what it is actually traveling.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm pretty sure if its mechanical the speedometer gear housing should be on the driver side of the transmission. If you figure out its digital you will need access to a computer that can change the pinion factor. It takes less than a minute and dealerships rip you off.

Another option is to purchase a hypertech programmer/tire calibrator to dial in whatever tire size you have or get later.

The pinion factor formula would be 63360 divided by (Pie x Diameter of tire) = Rotations of tire per mile. A 285 75 16 tire = 32.83." 63360 / (3.141159 x 32.83) = 614.3 rpm. You have to measure YOUR tire height because every tire company for the same sidewall label is a different height. Make sure the tire is off the ground to stay round when you measure it.

If its mechanical you will have to change a gear. Transmissioncenter is helpful for choosing the right gears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts