DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a complaint by end means but I am curious. I have read that many people report that there truck will spin the tires, mine won't spin a tire on dry pavement even with the traction control off. I have to wonder, all of you that can spin your tires is it just one tire spinning?

If I hold the brakes and get them spinning I can then let off the brake and as long as I feather the throttle I can keep it going as long as I want...But with just acceleration they won't break loose.

I have 392 gears with locking rear end and 17" wheels.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
from a dead stop my CCSB will spin them about 15 feet if i just hammer the loud pedal from a stock with the TC off..

I have tge 392s and 20s

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you holding the front brake to put pressure on the tires and get up the rpms (like a drag race start) or are you just not moving and punch it? My 05 won't crack em loose if I hold the brake little bit, but if I punch it, she'll roach it a little bit at least.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have 392's and 20's- LSD rear gear here....the tires break loose easily without apply the brakes.

I would try doing a throttle calibration and see if that helps.
1. insert key, turn all the way to right but do not start the truck
2. depress the throttle down once rapidly and hold it to the floor
3. turn the key to off

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys have open rear diffs?

Are you holding the front brake to put pressure on the tires and get up the rpms (like a drag race start) or are you just not moving and punch it?
I have done both and it won't spin, a little cherp as it takes off.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have 392's and 20's- LSD rear gear here....the tires break loose easily without apply the brakes.

I would try doing a throttle calibration and see if that helps.
1. insert key, turn all the way to right but do not start the truck
2. depress the throttle down once rapidly and hold it to the floor
3. turn the key to off
Never heard of this. What does it do?
If you turn key all the way, won't the truck start?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the throttle calibration but didn't notice a difference. Regardless of what I do this truck will not spin the tires, it just squats and takes off. Thanks to today's technology we have 390 hp trucks, the same technology robs most of it when I want it most.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
What tires do you have? Stock? Even my 4.7L would turn them over with stock tires (I suspect only one was spinning as it's open diff). With my aftermarket tires sometimes they spin sometimes they chirp sometimes I get nothing and it just bogs down lol.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still have the stock 17" Goodyear tires.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
hmm that's surprising. When I had the good years it was pretty much on demand burnouts...granted I couldn't whip the back end around or anything but I could spin them pretty good...

I know my brother's express with 3.55 will roast the tires off if you let it too...

Of course you have TC off right? Maybe try pulling the ABS fuse and having TC off on the dash, then it should be hard not to burn out lol...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Never heard of this. What does it do?
If you turn key all the way, won't the truck start?
These steps calibrate the throttle foot pedal to the ECM. It's all electronic now, no single cable from the gas pedal to the engine intake. The factory service manual has this information.

"Turn the key to the right as far as you can without starting"

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did the throttle calibration but didn't notice a difference. Regardless of what I do this truck will not spin the tires, it just squats and takes off. Thanks to today's technology we have 390 hp trucks, the same technology robs most of it when I want it most.

So you took the TC off? You may just have low tire pressure..... that will stop them from spinning. Try disconnecting the battery and start over.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tc was off and the tires have 42 psi. It never really bothered me until I read about everyone posted that they can spin there tires easily. The truck takes off very hard which is usually a good thing but the kid in me wants to make smoke LOL

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine wont light em up either. 20's with stock goodyears. I'm dissapointed. Maybe a 426 Hemi would help!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine wont light em up either. 20's with stock goodyears. I'm dissapointed. Maybe a 426 Hemi would help!
Don't be too disappointed, your not alone. I have a few friends with 09 and newer Hemi Rams and none of those will do more than a little bark at take off either. It's not a lack of power, it's the combination of a coil springs with a 4 link, and a ton of anti spin programming.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It's ur brakes preventing you from spinning them. Some folks spin theirs more than others but it doesn't male their truck faster. Don't beleive me...chain ur truck to a tree or to a dump truck (lol) and mash it and you'll easily Fry them!

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Honestly I'd try turning TC off and pulling the ABS fuse and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts