DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting ready to get rid of the old factory muffler and I've decided I want to go with a spintech, just love the sound. My plan is to eliminate the factory y-pipe and the flattened section that runs under the trans and replace that with 2 1/4" piping back to the muffler, so I'll have a dual 2 1/4" inlet muffler and a single outlet (I think 2 1/2" is stock, right?). Want to keep as much of the piping stock as possible since it mostly flows well, and just eliminate some trouble spots. Plus, that saves me a little green.

I'm torn between 3 of their mufflers: the 5000 truck/SUV series, the sportsman 3000, and the sportsman 3000XL.

I know all of their mufflers are very low interior drone, but I still need to make sure that I have as little as possible, if I can't have a conversation at a normal volume, then it's too loud for traveling. Additionally, I don't want something that will be annoying when pulling a trailer down the highway, I know the additional load will up the interior volume.

The 5000 series is 4x8.5x22, and my biggest concern with it is that the 4.7 won't be able to flow enough air for that big of a case, so the sound might be compromised, as well as the performance.

The sportsman 3000 is 4x8.5x13, and I think it's going to be just a little too loud because the case is so short. The 3000 has 6 spin traps, as does the 5000 series, just in a bigger case.

Finally, the sportsman 3000XL is 4x8.5x16, and has 8 spin traps versus the standard 3000.

According to their sound chart, the 5000 is nearly identical in volume to the 3000, and the 3000XL is a good bit quieter.

Based on how I intend to have the piping run (dual in from the cats/single out), the flow capability of the 4.7, and my volume needs (I don't care about exterior volume, just the interior has to be civil, or the wife will NOT be happy), what do you guys with a little more knowledge and experience recommend? Thanks for any advice you can give!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like you have done your homework.

I also was torn between what muffler to buy when I was looking. There are just too many choices. I finally settled for a Flowmaster Delta 55 series. I also wanted a good sound without drone. I guess I got lucky because it was perfect for me. Nice tone while accelerating but almost quiet at cruising speeds. The muffler swap was my favorite mod to date.

I havent had any experience with Spintech but hopefully you will find the right sound for your truck. The 4.7 is one mean sounding engine! Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts