DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Dodge Ram Sport / Hemi. Less than 2000 Km.

It was 25*C outside today but I was sitting in traffic on my way back to Ottawa from Montreal. I had been sitting in stop and go traffic for a good 20 minutes before the first jolt started....

I was changing stations on the satellite radio when the truck lurched forward while my foot was on the brakes. I though I got rear-ended. I then assumed I might of accidentally touched the throttle.. Then a few minutes later it happened again... The whole time I was stuck in traffic (a good 40 minutes) I would get quick jolts from the throttle while my foot was on the brakes... Enough to make the truck lurch forward a foot or so even while holding the brakes... While this was happening, there was a quick message that would appear on the display in the cluster. Something with a red lightning bolt..

I assume the was heat related.. Engine temp, trans temp and oil temp were all normal... Once I got out of traffic and driving normally at speed, the problem went away. I could not reproduce it during short stops (without traffic).

Any ideas? anyone else have this problem? I recorded the video of it happening on my phone. I called the dealer and they asked if I was sure my floor mat was not touching the accelerator pedal (and it was not... )

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Take it to the dealer and show them the video. This is not normal behaviour. There is no diect mechanical connection from the pedal to the throttle body it's all drive by wire. Could be something is up with the position sensor for the pedal or the throttle body actuator or the wiring or software in between.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it to the dealer and show them the video. This is not normal behaviour. There is no diect mechanical connection from the pedal to the throttle body it's all drive by wire. Could be something is up with the position sensor for the pedal or the throttle body actuator or the wiring or software in between.

I figured as much. Thank god for the video because it would be hard to replicate without sitting in traffic on a hot day... I pretty sure it's heat related.

Cheers!

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is a great video!!! it looks like the engine just about dies and the PCM catches it and the surge happens. Just like when you start your truck there is a slight surge of RPMs. I think this is not a case of sudden and sustained acceleration rather a defective sensor causing the engine to almost shut off. Get it to a dealer ASAP before you get stuck on the road with it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Glad you were able to catch it on video and hopefully it threw a code for dealer to read too.

Be sure to come back and post when you find out what the problem was and what the dealer did to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was at the dealer today. There was a stored code for the throttle body. They updated the flash for my pcm and transmission. They also ordered a new throttle body and they will install it next week.

Doesn't look like anything major.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The truck was just pissed it had to sit reigned in for that long in slow traffic. ;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
"There is no diect mechanical connection from the pedal to the throttle body it's all drive by wire."

Coming from a long line of cars that had actual CABLES between the carb/throttle and my foot, this scares the bejeezuz out of me.

:doh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spontaneous Acceleration

(I am writing on behalf of my husband):He was highway driving (2/13/17) his 2013 Ram 1500 when it accelerated (floored!). He stomped the brakes - nothing. Finally had to get to a spot where he could turn it off (wherein the power steering quits) and get it to the side of the road. It wouldn't start again for about 10 minutes. It's currently in the local Chrysler shop, and they say "code says you hit gas & brakes at the same time." Duh. They say maybe the floormat (which is a custom-fit Weathertech). That is not the problem. He used to race cars, and was an engine head. He knows alot about cars, so he handled the situation way better than I could have. I'm sure I would have crashed. Wondering how many others have ever had this problem and what Chrysler has to say about it.?? I have their 800#, wondering whether it's worth the time on hold to try to get an answer. He has always driven Chevy's and fell in love with the RAM. But now - unless there is an absolute diagnosis and fix, we want to sell it. Anyone have any ideas for this? Any recourse? Thank you in advance for any help on this.

2015 Dodge Ram Sport / Hemi. Less than 2000 Km.

It was 25*C outside today but I was sitting in traffic on my way back to Ottawa from Montreal. I had been sitting in stop and go traffic for a good 20 minutes before the first jolt started....

I was changing stations on the satellite radio when the truck lurched forward while my foot was on the brakes. I though I got rear-ended. I then assumed I might of accidentally touched the throttle.. Then a few minutes later it happened again... The whole time I was stuck in traffic (a good 40 minutes) I would get quick jolts from the throttle while my foot was on the brakes... Enough to make the truck lurch forward a foot or so even while holding the brakes... While this was happening, there was a quick message that would appear on the display in the cluster. Something with a red lightning bolt..

I assume the was heat related.. Engine temp, trans temp and oil temp were all normal... Once I got out of traffic and driving normally at speed, the problem went away. I could not reproduce it during short stops (without traffic).

Any ideas? anyone else have this problem? I recorded the video of it happening on my phone. I called the dealer and they asked if I was sure my floor mat was not touching the accelerator pedal (and it was not... )

Thanks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
On My 2011.............

When I am idling (no foot on the gas peddle) into my garage and the back wheel goes over a little "hump" at the entrance of the garage, the engine will almost kill but then kick in with a little push like you feel when you are on the track going through a car wash and it bumps you forward.

I've mentioned before when I stick my foot in the throttle and it's accelerating hard then I let off the throttle a little, it's still accelerating for a brief moment before it shuts off. That can scare the hell out of you, like it's not going to shut down........

Ain't computers wonderful. :hah:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Don't here this happening to much with the RAM, but anything can happen when you have computer controls.

I can understand the concern though. I was driving a 2006 Mercury Marquis and as I was coming to a stop the engine just ran away to red line. Even standing on the brakes was barely working. Pedal seemed fine, finally had to shut the engine off 3 times before it went back to normal. Wasn't using cruise control and it wasn't turned on at the time, that was what I was thinking as Ford has had quite a few runaway engines because of a cruise control problem.

Even the FAA was concerned about interference with fly by wire, the reason why they didn't want any electronic devises active while climbing to over 10k feet. Never could figure out what would have changed at over 10K feet to make it safe.

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
"There is no diect mechanical connection from the pedal to the throttle body it's all drive by wire."

Coming from a long line of cars that had actual CABLES between the carb/throttle and my foot, this scares the bejeezuz out of me.

:doh:
Uhhh, all of our work trucks have actual throttle cables and they do get stuck. I would say at a higher rate than most civilian vehicles

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Uhhh, all of our work trucks have actual throttle cables and they do get stuck. I would say at a higher rate than most civilian vehicles
I remember back in the olden days when I worked as a Mechanic for a while, we would replace throttle cables fairly often. At least it was pretty easy to diagnose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts