DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...i know that everyone wants to change their chrome bumper to a sport but i have the opposite problem....

i have an 02 ram 3500 sport (OLD body style) that i want to change to a normal front end...it is my welding truck and because it is a sport i can simply just not find anyone who makes a push bar that will fit....so either i swap the front or a make my own push bar which i really dont want to do if i dont have to...

so my question is basically whats involved ?? i have no idea how possible this actually is.... is it a fairly simple swap?? i have 2 ram 1/2 tons (95 +97) that i could even use the bumpers from if need be....

any help would be appreciated...

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
Just switch the bumpers including the brackets, also gonna have to switch the grille and the grille support on the hood.
I had the problem at one time to switch to a regular grille on my sport, notice the gap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after really thinking about all the work and the painting of the sport grille to match the 1/2 ton im thinking it would be much easier to just find a push bar and alter the mounting brackets if i have to ???

anyone have experience doing this with a sport model or know of any push bars/bull bars ect.... that will fit a sport or come close to fitting a sport ????...there is not a single company out there that makes anything for the sport model !!!!.....nor does the truck have tow hooks but thats something i can probably rig up pretty easily i would assume....

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4
4,226 Posts
Since you have welding experience it probably wouldn't be too hard for you to alter an existing bar to fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no it obviously wouldnt be too difficult but it still means buying something and taking the time to alter it....if thats what i gotta do then it is what it is but it blows me away that nobody makes anything for the sport model...

any help and those pics would be awesome....thanks guys for the quick and helpful responses!!!...keep em coming !!......

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
As my neighbor across the lane (Professional Welder) told me when walked into my shop - "You can do anything; You got a smoke wrench and a Mig!"
Once I figured out how to use the Mig reasonably well (at least by my standards), I have to agree with him. :smileup:

From what I've seen, there are are few minor fitment issues caused by altered profile of the sport bumper, so if I were to consider this, I'd just find the one I like the best, and use the tools my neighbor spoke so highly of. :D

BTW - When you get a chance, introduce yourself in the 'Newbie Checkin' area for a warm and proper Ram ForumZ welcome. :Hey:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just switch the bumpers including the brackets, also gonna have to switch the grille and the grille support on the hood.
I had the problem at one time to switch to a regular grille on my sport, notice the gap
I have the SLT laramie and i dnt much care for the stock chrome bumper mostly because of the plastic stuff.. but i was wanting to switch to the sport bumper where did you find yours...

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
I now have this

But I am looking for a 3rd gen Laramie or Sport bumper to go with my sport grille

and this is the goal

And this is what I am hoping to do to my dads truck, I am picking up an 07 bumper on Friday

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
From what I have read, it just needs some homemade brackets. None of my research has turned up any photos either of the brackets

·
Registered
63 Posts
well if you install the 3rd gen bumper let me kno how it goes cause i was wanting to install the 2nd gen sport bumper but it much more expinsive then the 3rd gen bumper.. i would like to kno how you did it if you do it

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
When I do it I will make up some extra brackets, and will do a How-To with photos. I am also doing the rear bumper of a 3rd gen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ok cool thanks man cause i dont like the stock laramie bumbers and i was thinking if i did the front in the 3rd gen bumper some color as the truck the chrome rear bumper would either need to be painted or swapped with the 3rd gen bumper... have you seen any pictures of how the side of how well the 3rd gen bumper lines up with the fenders?

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
This bumper is from a 02-05, he cut the wavy part off (it started out as a red bumper)

3rd gen rear

Compared to a stock painted 2nd gen

1 - 20 of 27 Posts