DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory applied spray-in bedliner in my Ram....Up til this truck I have only had drop in plastic liners.

How well does the spray in stuff hold up to hauling stuff like gravel and such?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I can't answer specifically about the MOPAR spray in liner, but I've have a Rhino Liner in a couple of trucks and it held up great. I've hauled cinder blocks, dirt, and even golf ball sized rocks and never had any issues with chipping.

The only issue I had with the Rhino was a little bit of color fading, which didn't really bother me all that much.

Hopefully someone will come along that has specific MOPAR knowledge.

Exco

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Dad's line-x isn't worth a crap! I got him one for his new truck thinking it would be better, but it must have been done on a Mon. or Fri.! The stuff bubbled in the bed and peeled off the tailgate and he doesn't abuse his truck either, just hauls some firewood and tools. It also provides no strength to the box, so the wheel wells are all dented and the floor is too, he's never had this problem, or any other problem in the past with drop-ins and he keeps his trucks for 10+ years. I know most people rave about the spray-ins, but based on what I've seen I prefer the drop-in. Just doesn't provide enough value for the extra $$$. (Also carbide runners on the snowmobile do noticeable damage)

Good luck with yours! If it makes you feel better, I seem to be the only one who has seen issues with the spray-in!

P.S.- I know that they do warranty the line-x but the closest place is 2hrs. away, and only some of the spots were covered, others were considered "abuse" or "excessive wear and tear" or something like that, so he decided to just live with it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My truck is a 2004 and was most likely done by the previous owner when it was brand new. Its held up well, and the only problem areas are where something has hit the truck really hard. When I say really hard, bad enough to badly dent the bed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

The liner I have was done by the factory, so not sure what they use.

I know my drop in liner in my dakota is scratched up etc from years of use, but no cracks or breaks etc.

The reason I am asking is that my truck is a lease and I do want to haul stuff with it.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have had Line-X on my last truck & now on this Ram

When i was at Line-X, a customer brought a truck in, it had damage from a loaded wooden pallet being slid in it. The shop told him that it was no problem, it would be covered under warranty. Then they offered to drive him to home or work & to deliver the truck back to him when the repair was done.

If your thinking about bed protection that is very durable, think about a BEDRUG
The only complaint that anyone has had with it is that when hay is carried in the bed, some straw gets hung up in the plastic fibers & damage from snow mobile skids
This is a short film on the durability of the Bedrug
http://www.impactmovie.com/bedrug/

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That bedrug looks tough if it does what they claim....

Not really wanting to spend $400 to cover my current bedliner....but...

I emailed the dealer for clarification on how much bed wear/tear is considered acceptable.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
By the way, the dealerships also carry the Bedrug
It has the Ram Head symbol on it, instead of the word Bedrug

Bedrug also has another product that is also good & it works with spray in liners or those drop in liners
http://www.bedrug.com/products/bedrugmat.php

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the factory spray in bedliner in my rambox truck and it looks great. I believe its pretty thick, but as others have said I doubt it has a lot of impact resistance. That said, I also added a 3/8" thick rubber "Protecta" mat to the bottom to keep the liner from being damaged and to keep stuff from sliding around. At $60 from summit racing its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
had line-x put in my Ram the week I bought it.....just before Christmas 2000. Its been awesome. Bricks, cinder blocks, rocks, gravel, dirt, bits of metal, etc. Still looks good. I did the same thing to the Dakota I had prior. Best investment for a pickup. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
had line-x put in my Ram the week I bought it.....just before Christmas 2000. Its been awesome. Bricks, cinder blocks, rocks, gravel, dirt, bits of metal, etc. Still looks good. I did the same thing to the Dakota I had prior. Best investment for a pickup. :)
I guess I was more wondering about how it holds up to shoveling the rocks etc out....ie leaving scrapes with the shovels etc.

Seems dumb to buy a bedrug or bedliner to protect a bedliner...LOL

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've got Line-X in my current truck. Just hauled a big load of gravel on it last week. Was kind of interested to see how it would hold up and it was great! No problems at all.
I agree to the idea of getting a rubber bed mat to put on the bottom if you're really worried about it.
Oh, and just a bit of advice from someone who has been there - DON'T try and go the cheap route and put on that Herculiner (or other brand) DIY bedliner. Terrible idea on my part. Didn't last for anything.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I cannot verify this, but I would swear the spray in liner from the factory IS Line-X.
It looks and feels identical to my last truck.

Now if it is Line-X or is as durable as my last truck, then I can tell you it does Very well with aggregate and a square tip shovel.
It is true that you do not get the dent protection of a drop in but I place a piece of plywood in the bed to help with that.
On my last truck, I paid an extra $25 for a supposed "UV Protectant" that was intended to keep the liner from fading. Well After 8 years, that spray in looked darn near as good as new and was Never garaged or covered. (other than the plywood I mentioned)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I think it must vary by dealership, but the Line-X shop that did mine said it was warrantied for life against peeling, bubbling AND chipping. That included a couple chips/gouges that occurred at my fault. They fixed them free and did it while I waited right after another truck was done. (A large metal cabinet sharp edge is what caused the gouges)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I guess I was more wondering about how it holds up to shoveling the rocks etc out....ie leaving scrapes with the shovels etc.

Seems dumb to buy a bedrug or bedliner to protect a bedliner...LOL

has held up pretty well to the shovel. :D

I've seen Rhino-liner that looked like flattened "huge curd cottage cheese" and seen some that looked like my line-x. guess its where you get it done. :4-dontknow:

i do have a lifetime warranty, but haven't needed it yet. stuff holds up very well. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts