DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 spd manual in my 96 3/4ton. I decided to clean the CPS and on the tip is full of metal shavings. So I cleaned the shavings off and re-installed the sensor. Engine seemed to be more crisp, however at idle...it'll sputter. Its not a lot, very litte here and there. Rarely did this before I cleaned it. Is this a sign that the CPS is on its way out? I have good fuel pressure, stays at 40 psi and for 5 minutes after the truck is shut off. Recently did a tune up few months ago.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a 5 spd manual in my 96 3/4ton. I decided to clean the CPS and on the tip is full of metal shavings. So I cleaned the shavings off and re-installed the sensor. Engine seemed to be more crisp, however at idle...it'll sputter. Its not a lot, very litte here and there. Rarely did this before I cleaned it. Is this a sign that the CPS is on its way out? I have good fuel pressure, stays at 40 psi and for 5 minutes after the truck is shut off. Recently did a tune up few months ago.
I was going to say check the fuel pressure because it's a sign that the pump is dieing but since you did that great. The only thing I can think of is that the distributor probably moved a little and it's throwing off the ignition a little. It's known overtime the distributor will move a hair and on a ECM engine this hair will throw things off, someone I helped out a while back had some funky idling issue I think it was a surging idle and it was due to the distributor. But I would check that out just incase, that's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My 96 1/2 ton 360 did the same thing i just turned the idle up a little on the side of the throttlebody there is a screw.
I don't recommend doing that because the idle speed is controlled by the ECM through the IAC and the fuel injector sequence. If the engine itself is stutter or sputtering whatever it's always going to be fuel related problem, either it be fuel delivery or timing or even water downed gasoline.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cap and rotor are only a few months old. The whole ignition on the truck is new. Maybe its just bad gas...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Cap and rotor are only a few months old. The whole ignition on the truck is new. Maybe its just bad gas...
I didn't say the cap and rotor were bad, I actually didn't say any part was bad. What I meant is that the distributor body might have moved out of place a little bit, it's known that with age the distributor body will move out of placing throwing off the timing. The timing cannot be adjusted by the distributor meaning you cannot properly advance or retard it but you certainly can screw up the timing controlled by the ECM.
Could be bad gas, beans... But I doubt it

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm think it could be the CPS, its the original one with 168K. Cap is tight.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IAC and TPS are both new.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
IAC and TPS are both new.
It could be the cam position sensor which is you guessed it located in the distributor body. Or it could be the crank shaft position sensor. When I was saying the distributor might of moved I didn't mean the cap and rotor I meant the distributor body itself. It might have moved a little bit overtime. Happens, old truck...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for clarifying, i'll have to take a look at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts