DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a squealing sound in my engine bay near the front, On cold starts and operational temp driving across all temperatures. It howls and screams, goes away at higher rpms 2k and up. Sometimes at idle it sounds like a turbo whistle and i get thumbs up. When i cut the engine it gives one last scream like a turbo spoolin down but much louder.

I've already replaced the serp belt, OEM one has less than 33k miles on it. I have't dripped any oil on the belt. I've cleaned off the pulleys with degreaser as well.

Only bay mods have been a new battery, an CAI and a catch can. and some shroud removal.

2014 Ram 1500 Express 4x2 Regular Cab

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the fan belt. Have you checked it yet to see if its tight and not worn?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fan belt is the serpentine belt, one belt running everything, I checked the old one and it was ok less than 33k on it, put a new one in rated for 70k and im still squealing.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
This is almost certainly the accessory drive; if it wasn't the belt then I'd look at the idler pulley or tensioner next. My serpentine belt went at around 75k miles but my pulleys are all the originals. I am at 84,500 now

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any thoughts on how this could have happened? im at 39.5k. NC Truck all its life after it was shipped from the Mexico plant.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Start it up with out the serp belt, you wont hurt anything for the 3 to 5 min you'll run the vehicle. If the noise is gone start rotating all of the accessories and see if you can hear feel anything abnormal.

·
Registered
589 Posts
rclogg is right on the money remove belt run for a short period. could be a misaligned pulley, a segmented belt also reduces noises such as a gator belt slightly diffent ribs than an OEM belt if nothing else works

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill give that a shot soon as I get through some final exams, Thanks for the suggestions. Worst case scenario is a few pullies or a tensioner?

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Ill give that a shot soon as I get through some final exams, Thanks for the suggestions. Worst case scenario is a few pullies or a tensioner?
Yeah, I don't think it'll be anything big or expensive

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 2011 Ram. I replaced both the idler and tensioner pulleys, which took care of the squeaking.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Can they be lubed or best to just replace? Just put on a new serpentine belt yesterday although the old one looked as new as the new one.
Also having problems with the AC not blowing cold on idle, but as soon as the truck gets moving I get cold air again. No squeal if the AC is turned off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts