DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put blocks in the rear. I know I'm gonna go with a 3" but what I would like to know is, could I add more to it? Say I go with the 3" and later I wanna go higher, could I add another block on top of it? Say maybe a 2" or another 3". Would that be ok? Or would I have to worry about them shifting or wearing on eachother?? BTW It's a 2005 Ram 1500 4.7 2wd quad cab shortbed.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
VERY bad idea. If you want to add height later, get a one piece block that's the height you need.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VERY bad idea. If you want to add height later, get a one piece block that's the height you need

What makes it a bad idea? I wanna know why it won't work.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
lift blocks for leaf springs are essentially spacers that fit between the spring pad and the spring. The jury's still out as to whether these are OK for the rear of a truck. A couple of automakers have equipped trucks with rear blocks from the factory over the years, and we haven't heard about many problems with them when installed properly. We do think that a lift block shouldn't be taller than 3 inches, and you should never stack them. They retain ride quality, but they can cause problems with wheelhop and driveline bind because of the increased leverage on the axle.
read more on the subject at
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/128_9702_lift_kit_alternatives/springs.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree. I would never use Two blocks stacked on each other. I know it costs more to get new springs but its cheaper than your rearend breaking or falling out of your truck. Look down in the long run. You'll appreciate new springs. You could do a add a leaf. My stiffen your ride abit but hey its a truck.. You don't buy it for ride!

E

·
0 Posts
You would want to find a way to connect the separate blocks mechanically. Otherwise, they will slide. A solid block, which has provisions to be anchored to the leaf springs and the spring perches, won't slide.

If one of the two blocks stacked upon each other slides out, you are gonna have some problems and potentially cause some other mechanical failure in the suspension or drivetrain. You cannot torque the U-bolts tight enough to insure those blocks won't slide at their mating surface. All you'll end up doing is over torquing the U-bolt and breaking it.

Pick a size and go with it. If you decide to go bigger, later, then get taller monoblocks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would want to find a way to connect the separate blocks mechanically. Otherwise, they will slide. A solid block, which has provisions to be anchored to the leaf springs and the spring perches, won't slide.

If one of the two blocks stacked upon each other slides out, you are gonna have some problems and potentially cause some other mechanical failure in the suspension or drivetrain. You cannot torque the U-bolts tight enough to insure those blocks won't slide at their mating surface. All you'll end up doing is over torquing the U-bolt and breaking it.

Pick a size and go with it. If you decide to go bigger, later, then get taller monoblocks.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I guess I'll have to stick with the 3" blocks for a bit. I gotta find a way to lift my front another 3" after the leveling kit also, so that gives me time to find some 6" blocks. Does anyone have pictures of a 1500 ram with a 3" block lift? Or any size block lift?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have a spacer in front and block lift in rear its all 2.5 lift. Ill post a pic for you before and afetr here:

Before

After

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a spacer in front and block lift in rear its all 2.5 lift. Ill post a pic for you before and afetr here:
So what are the numbers? What size level did you go with and what size blocks in the rear? Did you need new shocks after one or the other?

E

·
0 Posts
Well, I'm thinkin' if you wanna go that high, it's a 5" suspension lift with a small body lift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts