DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Just curious to know if anyone knows the weight limit of the stake pockets on the box of my truck.

I want to build a rack for my 2015 Ram 1500 using the stake pockets to support most of the weight.

Any ideas or links with info? How much weight has everyone strapped to the top edge of their truck box?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Been running with ladder/lumber racks on pickups for decades. If you check ladder rack specs. you'll find ratings from about 800lbs. - 1700lbs for those that bear in 4 stake pockets. Those at the heavier end of the scale usually have an angle iron piece to spread the load a foot or so beyond the pocket across the box rail. I've run very heavy loads on a set of racks we welded up that bear only an inch or so past the pockets. In fact we had a heavy load on those old racks of my old '86 F-250 just last week (the old Ford gets the dirty work). The pockets/top of the box crushing/denting isn't the issue for me. Even with heavy beams and such bouncing over rough roads. The racks will most likely fail (twist, bend, or break) first. Not sure if that helps you????

1 - 2 of 2 Posts