DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this Ram about half a year now... and for the most part it's been fine, but lately been having a few quirks.

Posted before about an issue... auto shift on the steering, sometimes won't pop into Park without a few attempts, and a few times flipped into 2nd while driving because between D and 2, is a bit soft. Was suggested maybe the shift cable was too short and needed adjusted. Not had that done yet.

Not sure if related but thought I'd mention.

1st issue, sometimes the car stalls after startup. I put the key in, starts right up no problem, let go of the key and it dies, runs maybe a second. Seems to occur (best I can tell) if the truck was in the sun and hot for a while like after work. I don't recall ever having it first thing in the morning when I go to work. If I turn the key and tap the gas a bit it starts up, but even then I had it twice now where I ease off the pedal and it dies again. Sometimes have to rev a few times and run it 10sec before I can ease off the gas. Truck always has 1/4 tank minimum of gas. Ran fuel injector cleaner through last week and about 6 months ago when I got the truck.

2nd issue, driving... sometimes quiet and no problems, sometimes a bit loud and feels like dragging an anchor. Not sure if the shift is maybe trying to switch to 2nd again? or something else?

3rd issue. I changed the oil a month ago, full synth, checked and oil level was near the top of the full range. I checked last weekend, and barely any oil in it. Not seeing any oil on the driveway, or on the ground where I park at work.

Tomorrow (Friday) I plan to pull the throttle body and clean it. Saw a post about the stall issue and dragging an anchor may be due to a dirty throttle body... but while under the hood, is there anything else I can check?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after a week, 1 view?

... quiet forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well now...

Sounds like there could be a myriad of causes, given the symptoms stated. The Shifting issue (COULD) be the tranny fluid pressure not being high enough, or not enough tranny fluid altogether, ive read our hemi's tend to be a bit finicky with improper fluid levels. The truck dying after start up (could) be the result of faulty wires, clogged fuel injectors, bad fuel pump. The loudness and heavy feeling could be bad ignition coil packs, 1 or more. The missing oil could be bad valve seals to where oil is "disappearing" into areas that it should not be inside the engine.

Any codes being thrown?

Abbot

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, no errors at all... and when running at like 80kph or higher it seems to run fine. Startup and low speed however, not as great.

I do need to change the trans fluid. It's old, not too bad of a colour, but whoever did it overfilled it by quite a bit. I plan to do that before the end of the month... once summer starts to cool down, I try to get as much car work done as possible before the snow hits.

Pretty sure when I bought it they said new wires, plugs and coils... but I'm finding that the guy lied about a few things on that truck so, not sure. Wires all look clean and blue so probably new, beyond that not sure... though new or not, could still be faulty.

I'm hoping most of the issues are simply a dirty throttle body which will be cleaned in a few days, and maybe if lucky, trans issues are as simple as needing a new bushing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update??

Any updates on the issue? Overfilling on trans fluid can cause shifting problems for sure. From what I understand, it can cause the fluid to get air bubbles in it causing more friction and wear, as well as too much pressure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally getting to work on it this weekend....

Oil level kept going down, did an oil change 2 months ago and had to add oil twice. Hoping it's because I switched to full synthetic, so did a change today with high mileage traditional oil. Though also noticed the filter was way different in size. Typically I use a Mobil Extender Performance filter in my cars, but opted to go for the on sale Quaker State, which fit, but was much smaller. Rechecked the Quaker site and says this is the right filter... but the old Mobil I tried sticking back into the box of the new filter and pretty much split it open it was that much wider. Also fixed my turn signal.

Tomorrow I tackled the throttle body and flush the steering fluid. When I got the truck they said the fluid was a bit low and topped it off. I could tell looking at it, they used steering fluid, not ATF+4 that this needs. I checked the other day because steering was getting a bit of noise, and it's really low. Now gotta wonder is it leaking because broken? or leaking because wrong fluid?

Trans... bit of confusion about which trans it has, though from here and a VIN site, I think 545RFE. Problem is, no one around here carries ATF+4 except cheaper brands and only 1litre bottles. I pickup some Mobile ATF+4 at NAPA on Tuesday... we have one here, but they don't stock ATF+4, needs to come in from the warehouse. Weird isn't it? Farm country... 1/3 of the trucks are Dodge here, should be swimming in AT+4. Anyways... hoping to do that before next weekend, just need to get the fluid and the filter/gasket kit first.

Week after this I'm taking a week off work, first vacation time I've taken in 4yrs and really don't want to spend any of it working under that truck. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Productive weekend for a change... oil/filter changed, steering fluid flushed, turn signal fixed, and throttle body done.

Wasn't as dirty as some I've seen online, but, not a competition I guess. Removed the entire thing and cleaned it well and carefully. In addition to that, the rubber ring around it was folded up on one half and not sealed well at all.

Cleaned, reinstalled, hopefully sealed properly this time. Air filter is still pretty new so should be fine for air flow. Took it for a drive last night and to work today, and seems less sluggish. But, main issues were when it was hot out so, should warm up today and after work I guess see if it stalls.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No such luck. Feels less sluggish but then again, most of my issues have always been in the afternoons after things warmed up outside. Never had an issue first thing in the morning.

That said, no sluggishness and good response so, I think the throttle cleaning helped a bit with that.

Yesterday, left work, got in the truck, worked fine. Drove 30min, parked to grab something at the store, so maybe 15min, hopped back in the truck and started, ran 1 sec then died.

So... onto the next probable cause.

Since I don't have a fuel pressure tester handy, before I go rent, I will test the coil packs next I guess? from what I've read, it could be the cause of some issues. Plus the previous owner says he replaced the coils/wires/plugs and so far seeing his handywork, well, may be the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts