DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got up the nerve to start my box build for my truck. So far so good. Im putting a 8'' Kicker L7 under my rear seat on the passenger side. Just so I can have one side for storage and one side for play. I should be getting my subwoofer in today so I can make a few more cuts and hopefully start screwing it all together later this week. we'll see what kind of week Ill have a work. I started with the storage hole and have three sides made. Ill be sure to take pics along the way and post them one I start screwing it all together.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Be sure to take some photos so we can see what and how you are doin things!

I look forward to seeing what you did. Im sure it will come out awesome!!

Tim

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
And there is likely enough volumetric space to build the cabinet the right size for that driver. Good choice!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like a good build man, just out of curiosity are you doing a fiber or MDF box? or a combo? Custom molded boxes / custom built ones are always SOOO much better for sound resonance than prefab boxes, even ones meant for a specific vehicle.

And I'll second CustomShirts, give us pics!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im making it out of 3/4'' MDF. Kickers website said that the 8''L7 needs between .33 and .75 cu ft of space for a sealed box and with my calculations Ill have around .48 roughly. (and thats the inside of the box with the subwoofer dropped in)

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
:smileup:Sounds great..........looking forward to thee finished product.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You'll definately have to post some pics and info on your build. I just got a 10" RF to drop in under my rear seat. I was trying to get it in under the driver's side rear because I don't want to lose my "mud tray" on the passenger side. However, I'm struggling to get everything in just right -- got a friend that does a lot of fiberglass work, so I'm thinking that something with a MDF frame and fiberglass body might be in the future and would give me a little more air space.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it took awhile to find the cable for my camera but here are some pics I took during and also of a semi finished product. I decided to cover the box with gray vinyl. I still have to trim it up a little but I got excited about hearing it so I just dropped it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
box design is great but why particle board? MDF Is the one and only way to do boxs....but just a suggestion if you do keep particle board poly urethane the inside and out to atleast get it sealed

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
box design is great but why particle board? MDF Is the one and only way to do boxs....but just a suggestion if you do keep particle board poly urethane the inside and out to atleast get it sealed
I agree completely, based solely on personal experience.....or was that a consequence ?!? Hate to say this after all the work you have done, but IF the box doesn't crack/shatter/flex/warp/splinter/etc., then it will sound rather boomy/dull/loose/etc. MDF is a fabulous material for the application. It's only real enemy is water, but even there, it's better than particle board.

Sorry for the bad news, but I so really like what I see, and really want you to get the sound quality you deserve after all that work. :smileup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts