DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Cl
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Ram 1500 4.7, starter engages but engine wont turn over. Replaced the starter and had the same problem. Removed the starter and attempted to 'start' the starter to make sure it would turn and have nothing from the starter. Does the starter ground to the bell housing or is there possibly another issure I should be looking for? Engine possibly locked up?

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Welcome to the Z. Did you have the starter tested to make sure it worked when not installed?

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just had the starter checked, starter is good... saved my 200.00 on the starter. Here's the bad news. Breakover bar on the crank bolt... engine does not turn. Anyone got a good 4.7 to spare? Just a little surprised by this. Never knocked or had any warning lights. Have never had a problem with this truck. Other than regular maintenence, have only had to replace one ignition coil and a radiator. I would consider that pretty damn good for 200,000 miles.

By the way, yes, the starter does ground to the bell housing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just had the starter checked, starter is good... saved my 200.00 on the starter. Here's the bad news. Breakover bar on the crank bolt... engine does not turn. Anyone got a good 4.7 to spare? Just a little surprised by this. Never knocked or had any warning lights. Have never had a problem with this truck. Other than regular maintenence, have only had to replace one ignition coil and a radiator. I would consider that pretty damn good for 200,000 miles.

dang! that sucks man. yeah that is pretty good for a 200k motor. good luck on finding a replacement 4.7.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts

Dumb question, did you pull the plugs out of the motor before trying to turn it by hand? If not, do that and try it again.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Dumb question, did you pull the plugs out of the motor before trying to turn it by hand? If not, do that and try it again.
This is a good idea. A blown head gasket could easily fill a cylinder and hydrolock the engine.

·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not had the opportunity to work on the truck since the last time I posted. I will pull the plugs to check for hydro-lock since this seems to be a popular suggestion. Another theory a former Dodge tech gave me today... What is the odd chance that there is a drive line issue? It was suggested that the torque converter lock up clutch could be engaged essentially keeping the engine/drive line engaged... like starting an old school standard in 1st with the e-brake engaged. If it can't turn all of it, then it won't turn any of it. Does the transmission in my truck have a lock-up solenoid? If any of you have had any experience with anything like this, please let me know. Even if the issue turned out to be a catastrophic transmission failure.

I will pull the plugs first as suggested, and Thank You for your input. If removing the plugs doesn't lead to a positive result, I plan to separate the engine and transmission. With the off chance the drive line lockup could be the problem, it will likely be the quickest way to determine what is the direct issue.

·
Premium Member
32,722 Posts
If all else fails, the Automotive recycling yards have a large selection of 4.7L, right up until the 2009 models, you may be lucky & pick up a engine from a rolled Jeep 2008-'09 with low miles on it, just switch your manifold over to the newer engine & everything should work with your trucks electronics.
Here is a list of vehicles that used the 4.7L
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_PowerTech_engine

Good Luck on a simple fix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts