DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new family. I'm new here so please have patience if this has been posted before.
I just pulled my NV5600 for the second time for rebuild. I don't have the funds to do it right now with Christmas and all so I bought a new 12 1/4" clutch with flywheel and installed a NV45 00 until I can get my 5600 rebuilt again. Now the problem, my starter will not engage the flywheel. It's kicking out and spinning but won't engage the teeth. I rebuilt the solenoid but no change. I have also taken it to 2 separate shops and It checks out fine. Could I be dealing with a shim on the adapter plate that was used for the 5600? I can't really see one but it could be there. My repair manual says it was used "in some applications" is that the problem or did they send me the wrong flywheel? I don't want to reuse the old 13" clutch because it is shot. Any ideas? Thank you all in advance.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
You say you bought a new 12-1/4 inch clutch and fly wheel and the old one was 13 inches. Could be that the new fly wheel is just a little bit smaller in diameter the the 13 inch one. If you can, measure the diameter of the two fly wheels to make sure the are the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I found my problem. My truck is a 2004.5 which means was a HO and used the NV5600 transmission. In 2004.5 the starter spacer was incorporated into the bellhousing to cummins adapter making the adapter .50 inches (actually .556") thicker than the SO models and earlier years that required the .56" spacer on the starter mount. Looks like I either need to buy an adapter that is from a earlier cummins or take it to the shop to remove the extra aluminum. Since I want to reinstall my NV5600 someday I'll probably just buy an older adapter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts