DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always started my cars with the air conditioning off and turning the A/C on only after the car is already running. When I was younger I remember my grandfather saying that having the A/C on when starting the engine puts a strain on the motor. However, with remote starting they say you can cool your cab before you get in. Does A/C not put a strain on the engine?

·
Registered
937 Posts
When I start my Ram the blower motor and ac will not work for the first few seconds. Seems Ram might agree with your Grampa

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I’ve always started my cars with the air conditioning off and turning the A/C on only after the car is already running. When I was younger I remember my grandfather saying that having the A/C on when starting the engine puts a strain on the motor. However, with remote starting they say you can cool your cab before you get in. Does A/C not put a strain on the engine?

Imagine Grandpa was thinking the Compressor clutch will engage, immediately, and place more stress on starter, turning the crank, with the little extra dded resistance on the front crank pulley belt.

Too, he could be worried about equalizing the AC line pressures.
Neither of which is a concern for todays vehicles.

While on the subject, I will state if ever installing a new home A/C unit. I suggest adding a 5-2-1 start capacitor ("hard start") or equivalent. used to be standard on most units but now only on highest end models.
Old Adage, if Manufacturers can save $1 per unit, multiplied out across 'X ' number of units . . . .

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That's true about it being harder on the truck, but they've idiot proofed them to where it doesn't actually fire up the AC for a few seconds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. I tried starting my truck with the A/C on and there is a delayed start. Things have changed since my grandpa’s day. Good to know, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts