DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I have come to understand that in Ca the 2008 4.7l engine is a bit of a white elephant. I was hoping to use some bolt ons to buy back some mileage but as i have found out and noted in other threads in the 4.7 forum the CARB certs are not forth coming.

My question for the group and why i have posted here is the following. My understanding is that i will have better opportunities for gas mileage if i can find one of the 5.9l 04-06 i would be in good shape for roughly 20Plus mpg.

Now to the question.
Should i make the jump to a diesel either a 5.9 or a 6.7 or shall i instead drop the 4.7 and go for a 5.7l ram 1500 and do a bunch of the bolt-on's that are CARB approved?

The reason I'm looking at this is mainly as a mileage increase option and the diesel is appealing in that the engine will effectively out last the truck and i can get a pretty consistent mileage as well as the option for alternative fuels.

any and all commentary is welcome.

:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
406 Posts
It all comes down to the math, if your planning on keeping the truck for 5 years and you need the torque go diesel, if your not sure if you will even have it 2 or 3 years then the added $$$$ of diesel at the pump will not add up to any savings and go hemi. I came from a ford diesel, 07 and I am now driving the 4.7 2009 goat, and I am happy, took awhile to get use to the lack of power. My only regret is I didnt go hemi

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply The torque is an option the plan is to keep the truck a long while and enjoy it and what i can do with and to it. The attractive part of teh disel is the potential milage with a bit of modding and the longevity of the engine over all.
but the service recommendations by dodge are a bit much considering their 4.7l engine has a 5000 mile between oil but the last of the 5.9 has a 3000 between oil so that is part of the math im considering. I dont need to jump but in my area finding the 5.9l diesel is tough at times and i want to stay away from the 6.7 with all the emmisions gear again im in Cali.

thanks much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get the 5.9 ctd and never look back IMHO, add an oil bypass filter with some good synthetic and you'll only need to do the oil changes every 10k or so, mine was easily getting the 20mpg on a consistent basis, I'm a fuel tracking nazi, but Im also easy on the skinny pedal most of the time... I've also deleted all the EPA junk on my 2012 (not required in the great white north) but I fear I'll never see the mileage my 5.9 gave me...

·
Registered
220 Posts
337, exactly what I was going to say.
Keep in mind, plans change... I bought my 05 two years ago with intentions of keeping it until the wheels fall off, pretty much literally, but now MDS is looking appealing and I'm looking at going newer, etc... Life changes, "always account for variable change" lol. P.S. 20 pts. to who can name the movie... lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
go 5.9

just purchased a 2006 5.9 last week got lucky only 45 thousnd miles ! i just came off a ford 2000 f250 gas and bought my first diesel and i will tell u wow i love the power for towing and get 18 to 21 mpg around town ,lite footed ! if i new this sooner i would go diesel long time ago! get 13 to 16 towing! so far just getting used to the beast plus no bs emissions all over the motor! i feel i made the right choice!:wavey:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go 5.9

I would go for the 5.9 but like everybody says depends on what you will be doing with it. I have a 2010 2500 Diesel now with the 6.7 and boy I wish I had kept my 2006 5.9. Now if they could put the 5.9 in the new body style I would have the best of both worlds.

The mileage on the 6.7 in town is not too good at 11 to 12 depends on my right foot. Towing my trailer that weighs in fully loaded at 9000 lbs the best I can get is 14.

Empty on the highway the best I can get is 16 mpg.

I MISS MY 5.9

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
337, exactly what I was going to say.
Keep in mind, plans change... I bought my 05 two years ago with intentions of keeping it until the wheels fall off, pretty much literally, but now MDS is looking appealing and I'm looking at going newer, etc... Life changes, "always account for variable change" lol. P.S. 20 pts. to who can name the movie... lol
the movie is "21". I agree with you, things change

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the comentary. I have for the short term opted to stay with my 4.7 as i finally found some "improvement" parts that are CARB approved or at least exempt.
i will keep the 04-06 5.9 on my radar as if i can get one for a really good deal then the math works in that favor over the long haul. The gear head in me really wants the Diesel but that financial planner is a stickler for details.

337 you aren't an A&P by chance? that number looks a bit like a particular form number :)

Again thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts