DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wandering and unstable front end. The truck drifts and will not go down the road straight. I am constantly correcting the steering. I checked the steering shaft bushing at the fire wall and it is tight. Track bar and tie rods are mildly loose and worn. The end links are beat. I don't know the age or milage on these parts. Research has lead me to possibly replacing the following parts. Except for the steering box strengthening kit all suspension and steering parts are OEM.
2002 2500 Cummins 200,150 miles.

Synergy steering kit part # 8525-02

http://www.synergymfg.com/www.syner...ge-Truck-Heavy-Duty-Steering-Kit-p-30964.html

Spohn sway bar end links part # D9802 FEL2

https://www.spohn.net/shop/2000-200...2-1994-2002-Dodge-Ram-4x4-1500-2500-3500.html

Spohn track bar part # D94-02-TB-DS

https://www.spohn.net/shop/2000-200...r-1994-2002-Dodge-Ram-4x4-1500-2500-3500.html

Energy Suspension sway bar bushings Part # 515126 or 515127

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/5.5126

Does anyone have experience with these companies and parts?
Could this fix my steering issues?
I am open to all comments and opinions.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Most of the parts you show are sway bar parts that have nothing to do with basic steering. If your tie rod ends are spent go to Napa or any other auto parts store and replace them. Yes sway bars will tighten it up if you are hard cornering but it will not stop it from drifting and wandering while going straight.

To be it sounds like you need things like ball joints, pitman arm, and tie rod ends - possibly a stabilizer or your steering gear needs adjustment or repair.

·
Registered
90 Posts
have you looked at tilting the front axle either back or forwards . there are adjustments on the trailing arms to do that . truck will wonder if thats not set right. mine does a little wondering too and i noticed that my adjustment is off on one side . ill adjust it one of these days.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Track bar and tie rods are mildly loose and worn. The end links are beat.
There is the problem!

My ball joints where "sloppy" at 60K(when i bought it) drag link went next around 110K(if i recall) Also replaced the end tie rod sometime??? Did you inspect the ball joints? (you have to lift the wheel off the ground) They are probably bad also. You need replace the vital steering components first then worry about the handling.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went with Borgeson box and shaft with a brace. I also tightened the box beyond recommended adjustments. It now steers great. My biggest problem now it speeding everywhere.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Stretch those control arms as far as you can,and keep them equal. Steering box needs to be centered before any adjusting goes on. My Borgeson box was giving me fits until I took the time to adjust things correctly. Had a shop check my work on an alignment machine,and I was spot on. I also tightened up the whole front end by using Moog stuff where I could,and Energy Suspension bushing including swaybar mounts

·
Registered
414 Posts
The trackbar can be easy to pass for good. I had my neighbor crank the steering while I watched from under the truck. while he held it hard to the left, the lower bushing was deflecting about a quarter of an inch. I now have a new target to address.
still on the fence on what to upgrade the trackbar to. Also will be looking for a new steering stabilizer, either a Fox 2.0 IFP, or a Bilstein 7100 IFP. I believe the Rancho that's on there now is causing more unneeded grief.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just changed out my Moog trackbar bushing with a red Energy Suspension one from a black one,,, seems to handle a 100 times better. Oh ,,,, and I added a new Daystar Scorpion steering stabilizer. My old Rancho was shot. Gonna try their front shocks with a two inch levelling spacer on the springs. Hope the headlights adjust low enough,,,

·
Registered
414 Posts
Set camber at 5 degrees positive. Measure this with an angle gauge on top of the top ball joint while setting on the ground. Magnetic one's work good for this. Factory spec is something like 2.7 degrees which is notta nuf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts