DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Rough Country steering brace. There are other companies making similar products but all of them more or less do the same thing.

The quick review is that it works and the difference is YUUGE. The front end feels solid and high speed stability is vastly improved due to less wandering. The biggest difference was when I went over the railroad tracks. Less flex and vibration.

Install is very simple. The scary thing is how little torque there was on the factory nut on the pitman assembly. I would check yours if you haven't done so lately. 6 bolts and you are done. You can do it in less than 30 minutes if you have 2 people.

Bottom line: 100% recommend some form of steering brace for the increased stability and sharper steering feel as well as the reduced wear and tear on the bushing (less play).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Installed the Rough Country steering brace. There are other companies making similar products but all of them more or less do the same thing.

The quick review is that it works and the difference is YUUGE. The front end feels solid and high speed stability is vastly improved due to less wandering. The biggest difference was when I went over the railroad tracks. Less flex and vibration.

Install is very simple. The scary thing is how little torque there was on the factory nut on the pitman assembly. I would check yours if you haven't done so lately. 6 bolts and you are done. You can do it in less than 30 minutes if you have 2 people.

Bottom line: 100% recommend some form of steering brace for the increased stability and sharper steering feel as well as the reduced wear and tear on the bushing (less play).
Glad to here you like the rough country.I ordered one from a local michigan dealer. www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Burkdadhemi,

Best $129 I ever spent on a mod. Really gives you a solid feel. I read all the reviews and all said similar things but this turned out better than expected in real life.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Interesting. Is this something that develops over time or do you guys feel it right out of the gate?

Also the link posted by coobie indicates these are good for up to 2015s... that just an out of date website or don't these work the same for 2017s?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just called Rough Country and they said that they have not test fitted the brace on the 2017's. I would crawl underneath a 2015/16 to see if there is a difference in the frame (doubt it but you never know).

I put the brace on immediately to prevent excessive wear and tear on the susupension components and to reduce the steering wander.

·
8,070 Posts
If you're going to order one you're better off going with Hell Bent Steel, BD Diesel, Rough Country, etc as they use a square HSS for their brace which is far more solid. The Dodge Ram Steering Stabilizer one will work but it's just bent flat steel so it's not going to be as solid/strong as a square HSS. Just something to keep in mind.

It definitely is something I recommend for any truck though but especially when running larger wheels/tires.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you're going to order one you're better off going with Hell Bent Steel, BD Diesel, Rough Country, etc as they use a square HSS for their brace which is far more solid. The Dodge Ram Steering Stabilizer one will work but it's just bent flat steel so it's not going to be as solid/strong as a square HSS. Just something to keep in mind.

It definitely is something I recommend for any truck though but especially when running larger wheels/tires.
The dodge ram steering stabilizer is made out of 1/4 inch thick steel.Plenty sturdy IMHO. One would think you would need a little flex in the front end verses a solid design with NO give.

·
8,070 Posts
The dodge ram steering stabilizer is made out of 1/4 inch thick steel.Plenty sturdy IMHO. One would think you would need a little flex in the front end verses a solid design with NO give.
It is still sturdy but not as strong as a square HSS.

And no, you'd rather have a solid design with no give. The whole point of the brace is to keep the steering box from moving at all.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a question. On the Rough Country Steering Brace instructions it says to use loctite in the threads of the new nut shaft. No mention of torque at all. Spec is 185 lbs. I plan to torque the nut to that spec.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mine came off really easily. There was nowhere near 185lbs of torque on the factory installed nut. If I had to guess, it was maybe 30lbs. That is why I suggested that everyone check theirs just in case.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
I would use red loctite. 185 ft lbs shouldn't be too hard; I had to torque a hitch ball to 250 ft lbs and had to put the mount in the hitch receiver while a friend held the wrench on the ball and I used both hands on the tq wrench

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would use red loctite. 185 ft lbs shouldn't be too hard; I had to torque a hitch ball to 250 ft lbs and had to put the mount in the hitch receiver while a friend held the wrench on the ball and I used both hands on the tq wrench
Red Loctite is a gamble if he ever had to remove that nut again, be may end up having to heat it with a torch up to over 500 degrees to break the red loctite loose. Say goodbye to any seals which means goodbye steering box.

Blue loctite would be more than enough to secure that nut and you won't have to worry about using a torch to heat it to break it loose.

Reactions: tabber02

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just called Hell Bent and they haven't been able to test on a 2017 yet, and so they can't confirm it will fit.

Do you guys expect any issues if I jump on one and give it a shot? No changes under there? I can't see any, but I'm no mechanic...

1 - 20 of 134 Posts