DODGE RAM FORUM banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
How loose was the pitman arm nut? Mine was not tight at all and I have seen a video of one guy who just put the socket on the nut and unscrewed by hand not even using a ratchet.

I would advise anyone with a 2500/3500/4500/5500 to get out a torque wrench and torque it down to 185 foot pounds.
Makes me wonder what else is loose under there. :doh:
And loctite it
I'm more of a 'bike' guy (small parts) than a 'truck' guy (large parts) but on any tear-down & rebuild the argument on use of thread dressing frequently comes up.

I figure a mechanic uses nothing: He just wants it fixed & out the door.

A hobbyist is going to be more particular. He's cleaning and prepping threads, deciding on which grade of Loctite to use.
Note that RTV & anti-seize are occasionally called for in places where one might typically think 'Loctite'.
The hobbyist knows that "he" is the one that will dissembling those same parts again some time in the future.

Back On Topic:
Its raining today, thus no steering brace install pics.

-Ej-

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Makes me wonder what else is loose under there. :doh:

I'm more of a 'bike' guy (small parts) than a 'truck' guy (large parts) but on any tear-down & rebuild the argument on use of thread dressing frequently comes up.

I figure a mechanic uses nothing: He just wants it fixed & out the door.

A hobbyist is going to be more particular. He's cleaning and prepping threads, deciding on which grade of Loctite to use.
Note that RTV & anti-seize are occasionally called for in places where one might typically think 'Loctite'.
The hobbyist knows that "he" is the one that will dissembling those same parts again some time in the future.

Back On Topic:
Its raining today, thus no steering brace install pics.

-Ej-
My pitman arm nut was not 185 foot pounds tight, took a 15" cresant wrench and was gonna bear down on it lol bearly pushed and the nut was coming off, I'd say it had about 30 foot pounds, just enough to flatten the lock washer. :doh:

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
My pitman arm nut was not 185 foot pounds tight, took a 15" cresant wrench and was gonna bear down on it lol bearly pushed and the nut was coming off,
I'd say it had about 30 foot pounds, just enough to flatten the lock washer.
This snow covered larvae is my truck this morning.
It's gonna be a while. :doh:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rough Country makes a very nice one. Completely Welded nice Finish. Another would be one from Dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com both quality products. Matter of choice

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
I think Spohn makes one too

·
Registered
141 Posts
Has anybody tried the BD Diesel one? It looks to have a nice powder coat finish.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Alright I am rethinking the steering stabilizer brace, I ran across a brace that just attaches to the left side of the frame by the steering box. The brace is there for one reason when all is said and done and that is to stabilize the steering box shaft that the pitman arm bolts on to from the steering linkage/suspension.

Now think for a moment the braces that tie the right and left frame rails together will still flex, when they flex it causes the bearing to pull or push on the steering box shaft which ultimately wears it out.

This steering stabilizer brace attaches to the left frame rail and when the frame flexes the brace is not pulling/pushing on the steering box shaft because it is only attached to the left frame rail so when flex occurs the brace and steering box move together but still provides the protection to the steering box shaft from the steering linkage/suspension which is what the brace is supposed to be protecting the steering box shaft from in the first place.

I think I am going to order this brace and remove the brace that attaches to both frame rails.

http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Dodge-Off-Road-Steering-Brace--5th-Gen-13-16_p_152.html

"Made from all 1/4" steel with 1/4" wall 2x2 square tubing as the backbone, the DOR 5th gen steering brace is a whopping 11 lbs of solid steering-support awesomeness. The concept is simple - don't fight what you can't control. There is not a steering brace on the market that will prevent frame flex at all, so what happens with all other steering braces is the frame twists and then the brace twists with it, putting that lateral motion directly into your steering box sector shaft thanks to the brace. Our braces are one-sided so they do not tie the frame rails together, thus preventing frame flex from ever affecting your steering box! This allows your steering box to be supported like it should be, without outside forces interfering. It's a very simple concept that we came up with years ago and have perfected over time."

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Received the Dodge Off Road Steering Stabilizer Brace and installed it. I like this design better than the ones that tie the frame rails together, this design eliminates any issues with frame flex that may occur that would put side pressure on the steering sector shaft bearing and seal.

Due to Dodge Off Road getting a patent on the design none of the others selling steering stabilizer braces can build and sell one that only connects to the left frame rail like the Dodge Off Road brace does.

I can see the benefits of this design over the one that tie the frame rails together. Even just a small amount of frame flex will put pressure on the steering sector shaft bearing and seal so I am glad I went ahead and changed over to this brace.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=233108

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
steering

I put something to this on my 98 Ram 3500 to help it from wondering on the road. Suppose to help because the older dodges had a lot of frame flex.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am trying to figure out if this product will help my issue. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Cummins. I have a spot in the road I commute on daily that has a dip for a drain at the curb. The dip protrudes out into the lane a ways so if I don't steer away from it I normally hit that dip. The speeds are about 55-60 on that stretch of road. When I hit that dip with the left front tire it feels like I loose control of the front end briefly and scared me the first time it happened. I did a search and found this thread. It feels like my steering is loose for a second after hitting that bump.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A steering brace is not going to make big dips and bumps go away, they are going to effect your steering no matter what.

The steering brace stabilizes the steering box sector shaft that the pitman arm bolts onto. What the brace does is eliminate minor wondering from the steering linkage putting pressure on the steering sector shaft causing it to move which wears out the seal and bearing prematurely.

By installing the steering stabilizer brace you are stabilizing the steering box sector shaft keeping it from moving side to side or front to rear which is what wears out the seal and bearing.

If you are hitting a dip or bump big enough it can still push on the steering linkage causing the steering to move but with a steering stabilizer brace the sector shaft will not move side to side or front to rear so it won't be contributing to the issue of the rest of the steering linkage moving during the time it is dealing with the forces of the large dip or bump.

While FCA/Ram has improved the front end steering components over the years they have not cured the age old problem of the steering linkage causing undue wear on the steering box sector shaft so from me I will advise you to pick up one of Dodge Off Road steering braces and install it as it will protect the steering sector shaft from excess wear and tear.

http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Dodge-Off-Road-Steering-Brace--5th-Gen-13-16_p_152.html

81 - 100 of 134 Posts