DODGE RAM FORUM banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
A steering brace is not going to make big dips and bumps go away, they are going to effect your steering no matter what.

The steering brace stabilizes the steering box sector shaft that the pitman arm bolts onto. What the brace does is eliminate minor wondering from the steering linkage putting pressure on the steering sector shaft causing it to move which wears out the seal and bearing prematurely.

By installing the steering stabilizer brace you are stabilizing the steering box sector shaft keeping it from moving side to side or front to rear which is what wears out the seal and bearing.

If you are hitting a dip or bump big enough it can still push on the steering linkage causing the steering to move but with a steering stabilizer brace the sector shaft will not move side to side or front to rear so it won't be contributing to the issue of the rest of the steering linkage moving during the time it is dealing with the forces of the large dip or bump.

While FCA/Ram has improved the front end steering components over the years they have not cured the age old problem of the steering linkage causing undue wear on the steering box sector shaft so from me I will advise you to pick up one of Dodge Off Road steering braces and install it as it will protect the steering sector shaft from excess wear and tear.

http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Dodge-Off-Road-Steering-Brace--5th-Gen-13-16_p_152.html
Thanks for the time you spent writing this up. Great information.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What size is that pitman nut? I need to make sure I have the correct socket.
Thanks
The stock pitman arm nut is 1 13/16, you will find it is only on with about 20 to 30 foot pounds of torque.

The Dodge Off Road replacement stud/nut is 1 3/4 inches, I could not find a deep well socket deep enough locally so I went to Northern Tool and bought a 1 3/4 wrench for $29 with tax. The wrench is long enough to get close to or right at the 185 foot pounds of torque the replacement stud/nut calls for.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put the RockSolid unit on about six years ago and it helped. Before if the engine was off and I cranked the wheel hard looking for slop in the linkage-suspension I could see the box flexing on the frame a bit. Solved that, and it certainly worked, but don't expect miracles. For the GenII anyways, there are other issues that may need addressed. The steering shaft couplers, especially the early ones, get loose, the bushing at the bottom of the steering column can wear, as well as the typical track bar and geometry of the center link type stuff. My truck has spent a fair amount of time off road, banging around the mountains and some fairly crappy oilfield roads and what I came to realize was that a percentage frame twisting was getting transmitted to the pitman shaft. Potholes and rocks, don't bother to worry about it. Deep ruts, big rocks, crossing the steep grade up onto the bank or down off the road cut, that's different and will twist the truck a fair amount. Definitely not good, but a reasonable tradeoff I have always felt. I have changed the pitman seal twice, but that's it. There is a bearing at the bottom of those Saginaw boxes, not a bushing by the way, I changed mine out and resealed/adjusted up the box when I added the stabilizer and have put 70k miles or so on it since then. The pitman nut was plenty tight. A spherical bearing, instead of the straight bearing they supply would take up about all of the twist, I wonder if the manufacturer even considered that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Received the Dodge Off Road Steering Stabilizer Brace and installed it. I like this design better than the ones that tie the frame rails together, this design eliminates any issues with frame flex that may occur that would put side pressure on the steering sector shaft bearing and seal.

Due to Dodge Off Road getting a patent on the design none of the others selling steering stabilizer braces can build and sell one that only connects to the left frame rail like the Dodge Off Road brace does.

I can see the benefits of this design over the one that tie the frame rails together. Even just a small amount of frame flex will put pressure on the steering sector shaft bearing and seal so I am glad I went ahead and changed over to this brace.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=233108
I have this same brace but believe there's an issue. I can't get all the holes to line up ... see pics below. I have the Thuren suspension but that should not make a difference.

If I mount the bracket as instructed then the pitman arm stud/nut is way off center ... See pic #1.

If I force the pitman arm nut/stud to line up, then the bolts for the sway bar don't line up and it doesn't look right ... See pic #2.

On another forum, DOR has serious bad reviews. I ignored that and ordered this part anyway but I'm sorry that I did. I've tried emailing them on several occasions with pictures to show the problem without a response. Tried Facebook too, nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you ever get this DOR steering brace problem resolved? I ordered one of these the other day as I was sold on the design concept of being attached to one frame rail.

If not, thinking I should cancel this order.

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you ever get this DOR steering brace problem resolved? I ordered one of these the other day as I was sold on the design concept of being attached to one frame rail.

If not, thinking I should cancel this order.

Thanks
I did not. Their customer service is non-existent. Never a reply to my emails or Facebook post. I'd get the order and see if it fits. If not, then don't do what I did and wait too long to dispute the charge with your credit card.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I checked in with Rough Country last week on their brace being compatible with 2017 trucks and they advised it is compatible.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
I can't imagine there would have been any changes

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey guys,

So, I’ve got my brace from HBS, and am ready to install, but something came to mind...

...when I go to unbolt the nut from the gearbox, will I need someone to hold the steering wheel in place or won’t it move because the engine’s not on?

Same question on tightening .

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
I second this what is the benifit of one over the other?
A steering brace mounts the steering box to the frame more solidly. Steering stabilizers dampen the side to side movement of the wheels

101 - 120 of 134 Posts