DODGE RAM FORUM banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bringing this post back up ,I have just over 1,200 miles on my 2018 2500 , I thought it was just me getting used to the steering coming from a 1500 and 17" wheels to a 2500 with 20 inch wheels ,but I guess not . Someone prior stated it was an easy DUI probable cause issue , funny thing is , I'm a retired cop and that's the first thought that went through my mind ! Anyone have any new opinions on these gadgets ? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Admittedly, I didn't read all 13 pages on this thread, but for those of you that have done both, which is of greater benefit....the steering brace or an upgraded steering stabilizer shock? I live off grid in a truck camper on bad trails about 4 months of the year, looking to have a bot more control of the wheel, and also eliminate any type of failure in my rig.

·
Registered
45 Posts
RAM Steering Gear Brace

Your installation looked easy but when I checked with Rough Country, their braces just went to 2006 and I have a 2014 RAM 3500, 4X4, 6.7L and I was wondering if the fitment was a problem? Some sites that recommended the steering box brace had a comments such as "only for years listed". I guess I will have to do some more checking. I couldn't find one that listed my 2014 year.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Bringing this post back up ,I have just over 1,200 miles on my 2018 2500 , I thought it was just me getting used to the steering coming from a 1500 and 17" wheels to a 2500 with 20 inch wheels ,but I guess not . Someone prior stated it was an easy DUI probable cause issue , funny thing is , I'm a retired cop and that's the first thought that went through my mind ! Anyone have any new opinions on these gadgets ? Thanks in advance
Admittedly, I didn't read all 13 pages on this thread, but for those of you that have done both, which is of greater benefit....the steering brace or an upgraded steering stabilizer shock? I live off grid in a truck camper on bad trails about 4 months of the year, looking to have a bot more control of the wheel, and also eliminate any type of failure in my rig.
sector shaft braces are generally a good idea with live axle vehicles. if nothing else, it's another brace that ensures the sector shaft (the shaft extending out of the steering box) is reinforced at the top (where your steering box bolts to the frame) and at the bottom of the shaft below the drag link. so yes, i'd say its a very good idea. especially with larger wheels (18 or 20" heavier wheels).

upgrading the steering stabilizer.... if there is nothing wrong with your stabilizer, isn't a smart upgrade. i'll leave it at that. stabilizers mask problems, unbalanced wheels, failing bushings (tie rod, or trailing arm bushings) and other things.

so long as your stabilizer is functioning properly--you're good. as mentioned, all it's doing is dampening the side to side movement (because of imperfections in the road). the much better investment is the brace.

that's my 0.02.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i jumped on the bandwagon on Veteran's Day. i installed the Synergy Steering Box brace in my 2500 and after 5 short days, i can say i am pleased with the feel. my truck is still new, although i've put 13,000 miles on my truck in 6 months, the steering box felt fine. i upgraded to 37" tires and in my mind figured it is a wise investment to reinforce the steering box (with the brace) given the increased leverage (weight and size of the tires).

install was simple. well worth the $200

Reactions: G. Mcpherson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just bought myself a 2012 2500 4x4 CC. I tow a 7k travel trailer. I do have some distinct wander. Going to order one of these and see if it settles down the steering.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4X4 6.4L Hemi
39 Posts
Just ordered the steering box brace from Rough Country this morning. My truck only has 20,000 mi on it and stock size tires but over the past 8 months I've noticed a bit of steering wander. Has anyone had this happen at this mileage? From what I've read on this forum and other sources the box brace is going to fix this problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My truck got just a bit over 1k miles. Ordered and received a RC steering box brace right after I picked my baby up, but haven't had a chance to install it yet (stuck at work overseas).
I believe you've got to have it installed BEFORE it gets loose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Crawled under my truck this morning and checked all the hardware for the steering box. To my surprise & shock the bolts holding the box to the frame weren't even tight. I applied loctite red to them and re tightened & torqued them. That solved the wandering problem but I'm still going to install the steering box brace. After this discovery this morning and thinking that this has been going on for 8 months I swear that I must have a guardian angle or something watching over me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hoping someone can help me out. I just received my Rough Country steering box brace and the instructions are difficult to understand. They're listing bolt sizes that aren't in the kit or even on the truck and the "diagrams" that show how to install it don't help much either. Any help or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

121 - 134 of 134 Posts