DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a problem with my dodge 2005 Ram, 2 wheel drive. The problem is I have a jerk when I go over bumps, even small slow bumps. It feels like a steering dampener or stabilizer gone bad, but I know my truck doesn't have a dampener because it is rack and pinion. At the dealership they put new rack and pinion, new upper control arms, new ball joints, new shocks, and the tires are fine. I also looked at the lower control arm bushings and they are okay. I still have the same jerking feeling. The service advisor told me that there is a dampening valve built into the steering box and the tech told me that there is No valve. So I don't know who to believe. Please let me know if anyone has run into this problem and/or knows anything about it. Thanks!
george:doh:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is there any looseness in the steering? I know in my truck the steering was loose and it would cause it to jerk a little over bumps. nobody could find anything wrong for a while but i found out that there was a u joint connected to the steering rack which was bad. replaced that and everything was ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 2003 Ram 2500 2WD since September 2002 and it's done this since day one. It now has 40,000 + miles and would have more if it drove better. What is happening is when you hit a pothole or bump in the road, the front tires are bouncing off the road, freeing any resistance the tires have when planted firmy on the road. If you're going straight, it's not as bad as when you're driving through curves while turning the steering wheel. Hitting a pothole or bump on a curve at speed is scary at best. It needs a stabilizer shock on the steering, but as you noted, it's a rack and pinion and there's no where to add one.
I found the best improvement to date was installing Billstein shocks. They seem to keep the tires planted better than the stock shocks (replaced @ 20,000 miles) or the Rancho shocks (replaced @ 40,000 miles). I just installed the Bilsteins last year. I told my wife if the Bilsteins didn't help, ten years of this was enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts