DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday as I got into my RAM when parked at home I noticed immediately that I was unable to turn the steering wheel. Putting the key in the ignition and starting the truck did not help either. The wheel doesnt budge in either direction. Am able to drive the truck back and forth but cant make any turns at all. The week before the EPS light came on and as I was staring to look into the problem the warning light went away and then came back again a few days later. I searched the forums on what might be the problem tried resetting the warning by disconnecting the battery and checked the fuse but it did not help. The light is on now indicating that the eps needs to be serviced. But the steering wheel being locked has me scratching my head as my understanding is that even without EPS I should be able to steer. Any one have any idea what it could be. I will have it looked at but if some one could provide me a heads up would be great.

·
Super Moderator
34,743 Posts
What is the EPS light? Did you check for codes?

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Yesterday as I got into my RAM when parked at home I noticed immediately that I was unable to turn the steering wheel. Putting the key in the ignition and starting the truck did not help either. The wheel doesnt budge in either direction. Am able to drive the truck back and forth but cant make any turns at all. The week before the EPS light came on and as I was staring to look into the problem the warning light went away and then came back again a few days later. I searched the forums on what might be the problem tried resetting the warning by disconnecting the battery and checked the fuse but it did not help. The light is on now indicating that the eps needs to be serviced. But the steering wheel being locked has me scratching my head as my understanding is that even without EPS I should be able to steer. Any one have any idea what it could be. I will have it looked at but if some one could provide me a heads up would be great.
When the EPS fails the steering is much harder. It isn't locked up just takes a lot of strength to turn the wheel. Since you cant turn the wheel get it towed to the dealer Unfortunately the EPS is very expensive to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the EPS fails the steering is much harder. It isn't locked up just takes a lot of strength to turn the wheel. Since you cant turn the wheel get it towed to the dealer Unfortunately the EPS is very expensive to replace.
I was just wondering why its locked since mechanically I'm supposed to be able to turn the wheels. Found a few at some junkyards ranging from $400 to $800.

·
Super Moderator
34,743 Posts
Electric Power steering.
I know what EPS is, are you saying there is a specific light for it on the dash?

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Yes this message "Service Power Steering" comes on along with the red steering wheel icon light
Any update on the EPS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts