DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my truck last night it was fine. Drove it today, as I left the house I noticed that the steering wheel is sitting 180 (just about) degrees out. So when I am driving straight the top of the wheel in towards my lap and the bottom is not on top. Right controls are upside down and on the left and so on.

I have never seen this on a vehicle and am stumped as to how this came to be overnight sitting in my driveway. The light for the vehicle stabilization is also on (the one that shows the rear of a vehicle with swerving indicators behind it.

I just drove it around, turned it off, restarted and problem still exist. Also the steering in general seems mushy.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had something similar happen. Mine was off, the top was facing about 9' o'clock so it was off to the left as I was driving straight, this happened very suddenly. Turns out I had 2 bad lower ball joints with one worse then the other. It only had like 20k on it when it happened.
It was very strange to say the least. Now yours being completely off to the point where it's upside down sounds crazy!

For mine the dealer replaced both lower control arms then aligned it, it's been fine ever since. Mine DID NOT have any indicator lights on though.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Ok, 2 things come to mind.

first and foremost, you have electric power steering, so this can happen because of a fault in the system.

More importantly than that, you have a warning lamp on, indicating you have a fault in the system. I would stop driving the truck immediately. Call the dealer and have it towed in. It sounds very much like the steering position sensor has failed, and if that is the case, the vehicles computer will have no way of knowing what position the steering wheel is in. With electric power steering, your truck is...essentially...drive-by-wire. While you still have a mechanical link to the rack and pinion via a steering column, there are a series of sensors that feed information to the computers in the truck about where the position of the steering wheel is in relation to the angle of the front wheels. if one or more of those sensors has failed...well...the results can be catastrophic.

So, I will reiterate, don't drive it until you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
15,597 Posts
Ok, 2 things come to mind.

first and foremost, you have electric power steering, so this can happen because of a fault in the system.

More importantly than that, you have a warning lamp on, indicating you have a fault in the system. I would stop driving the truck immediately. Call the dealer and have it towed in. It sounds very much like the steering position sensor has failed, and if that is the case, the vehicles computer will have no way of knowing what position the steering wheel is in. With electric power steering, your truck is...essentially...drive-by-wire. While you still have a mechanical link to the rack and pinion via a steering column, there are a series of sensors that feed information to the computers in the truck about where the position of the steering wheel is in relation to the angle of the front wheels. if one or more of those sensors has failed...well...the results can be catastrophic.

So, I will reiterate, don't drive it until you get it sorted out.

Isn't this nice, steer by wire.

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Not quite. The rack can't steer without the steering wheel turning for the same reason you can still steer if you lose electrical power

·
Registered
227 Posts
2500s do not have electric power steering. The large nuts on the track bar come loose and cause the problem you are having.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
2500 still have a power steering pump and steering box, get it to the dealer asap something is really unsafe and wrong. Yeah it's very possible the nut on the pitman arm to steering box has fallen off or the box it self is messed up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
2500 still have a power steering pump and steering box, get it to the dealer asap something is really unsafe and wrong. Yeah it's very possible the nut on the pitman arm to steering box has fallen off or the box it self is messed up.
Did you read post #3................:4-dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
OP has a 2500. Info about electric power steering is not applicable

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Not completely... itll be decades before thats allowed, if ever.
Not quite. The rack can't steer without the steering wheel turning for the same reason you can still steer if you lose electrical power
This.
2500s do not have electric power steering. The large nuts on the track bar come loose and cause the problem you are having.
My bad, didnt catch he had a 2500. Thats even worse!

·
Registered
808 Posts
The Infiniti Q50 is steer by wire but with a mechanical redundancy in case of malfunction. I believe it's the only car on the road with a system like that. Yeah I wouldn't trust it either. :smiledown:

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
The Infiniti Q50 is steer by wire but with a mechanical redundancy in case of malfunction. I believe it's the only car on the road with a system like that. Yeah I wouldn't trust it either. :smiledown:
What do you mean? If it's steer by wire there is no mechanical mechanism

·
Registered
808 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts