DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Express has the evic and cruise on the wheel. If I order a leather wrapped wheel from, say a 2012 Longhorn, would the radio buttons work for me? Do you think the wires in the column are there for all models?

·
Registered
116 Posts
How much is the new Steering Wheel?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
My 2012 Express has the evic and cruise on the wheel. If I order a leather wrapped wheel from, say a 2012 Longhorn, would the radio buttons work for me? Do you think the wires in the column are there for all models?
I am looking to do the same thing. I am sure someone will chirp in soon!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want a leather wheel and steering wheel audio controls. 2012s are different because of the cruise button, so it may be that nobody else has tried it. I guess I could get a price at least. I found a online Mopar dealer that shows for 2011 a Leather w/o heated for list $192, them $138. If a 2012 is that good a price, I'll do it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice! I'd definitely swap mine for that price

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I contacted a Mopar parts dept. I gave them the VIN for a 2012 Ram Sport. This would have leather and audio controls. He told me it would be $296 and only includes the wheel #2 in the picture, no buttons or controls, though they aren't in the picture at all. Must be a different page. At $296, plus button parts and no guarantee it will work, I am loosing interest. A junkyard wheel would make it much more appealing, but I have to have a 2012+ so it may be a while.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I made the swap last year on my 2011. The topic had been discussed for a long time at that point and finally there was one person who actually made the conversion work for both the evic buttons and for the radio buttons. There was a sales code required and wiring to be spliced.

From the wiring schematics I have not yet determined if the 2012 wiring harness at the clock spring would need to be modified. All of the wiring may be there now because at least you are working with switches at the steering wheel already for the EVIC controls and the lin bus wire may already be there to send the signals for the radio button upgrade.

One thing to consider to make the change easier as you do this is to buy the upgraded switch to add to you current steering wheel to keep costs down and buy the leather wheel later from a salvage yard when it becomes available.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Leather Wrap kits

Has anyone looked into the leather steering wheel covers? good or bad. I have to agree I am not impressed with my rubber express steering wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts