DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if it is possible to swap out the steering wheel that comes in the ST model I have that doesn't have the radio controls for the SLT model's steering wheel that does have the radio controls. What would it take to do that? I have the ST model and am thinking that I'll start adding the features like the radio controls on the steering wheel, the heated seats, and if it's not a huge transition, putting in the power locks and power windows. The truck I have now has pretty much no bells and whistles so I am wondering how much trouble it'll be to put em in piece by piece. Any help or info would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Main problem you may run into is whether or not your clockspring has the pins for it; if it doesn't you have to replace the clockspring with one that does.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I know it's an old thread but I wanted to say that it is possible. I added steering wheel controls to my 2003 SL today and was quite surprised to find that the clockspring had the pins in it already. The only wire I had to add was for the trigger to the C2 terminal 12 on the back of the cluster.

I've already upgraded the entire truck to power everything and had to completely rewire the harness for every option so I was quite surprised to find this one thing prepped in advance.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My setback seems to be that the cluster isn't enabled for it. Either that or the jeep grand cherokee buttons that I used have different ohm values and it doesn't recognize the signals. I've been looking for a service manual to download for the jeeps and haven't been able to find one yet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for the offer, that would be great. The cluster is from a 2003 or 04 but i think the buttons are all the same right up to 06 or 07.

I'd settle for the resistance values to start. If they are identical then there's no sense going any further.

I would like 4 ohm values from each switch.
no buttons pushed,
only up button,
only down button,
only middle button.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thank you sir!

I also found the diagnostic pages in the manuals for the 03 and 06 Ram manual's tonight and it appears the resistances are identical.

This leads me to believe that I am still missing something in the wiring but at least I'm now armed with step by step instructions on how to test each point of the circuit. if everything checks out, my next move will be a dealership with a scan tool as per the service manual.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You're going to have to give me more credit than that, lonestar. ;) The clocksprings are present, I have 5 volts where i need it and the voltage drops accordingly and matched to the spec sheets.

FYI, In addition to rewiring trucks in my spare time, I run a side business building custom switches and wiring harnesses under the name of OCD Solutions...and if that's not enough, I am also one of only 7 techs in the US that provides support on this little device;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhkVacyI9lo

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
You're going to have to give me more credit than that, lonestar. ;) The clocksprings are present, I have 5 volts where i need it and the voltage drops accordingly and matched to the spec sheets.

FYI, In addition to rewiring trucks in my spare time, I run a side business building custom switches and wiring harnesses under the name of OCD Solutions...and if that's not enough, I am also one of only 7 techs in the US that provides support on this little device;
Maybe I'm reading this wrong? I didn't ask if the clockspring is present, I asked if the pins inside where it plugs in are present. Just checking.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes. The pins are present, and so is 5 volts on both sides of the clockspring. If that's not enough of an indicator, the 5 volt reference voltage on the C2 terminal 12 of the cluster also drops accordingly when the buttons are depressed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
what was your outcome/solution? I recently swapped a 04 whole column and wheel into my 02 which originally did not have radio buttons but the 04 does and they are not working. Assumed dealer activation, but hoping not another 150 bucks wasted on a 5 minute wait for them to do it like my keyless entry add on I did.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yea i am assuming the worst... money handed over to the dealer for litterally a 1.5 minute job and at a cost to me here jersey $150 after taxes and bs fees.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am kicking myself about 7 years ago I had a deal lined up for a DRBIII and decided not to follow through now looking back that investment of a grand as oppossed to 5k-10k they are going for now would had paid for itself the first year plus made more money for my repair business i do on the side...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I finally got this resolved. I totaled off my little truck so I bought one that already had steering wheel controls. :)

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I am kicking myself about 7 years ago I had a deal lined up for a DRBIII and decided not to follow through now looking back that investment of a grand as oppossed to 5k-10k they are going for now would had paid for itself the first year plus made more money for my repair business i do on the side...
Very worth it, mine has just about paid for itself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts