DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the truck as a new 2014 back in January after I returned home from deployment. Her name is Stella! I've already done a few mods up to this point and have more plans to come. I figured I might as well create a thread so that I at least have a place to put my pictures and can keep a record of it all. I'll give a run down with some pictures (maybe a lot of pictures) from purchase up until now as well as what is to come.

Some specs on the truck: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 4x4, crew cab, UConnect 5.0, 5.7 Hemi, 8 Speed, 3.92's, 32 gallon tank, and tow mirrors.

Mods so far: Weather Tech Laser Fit floor liners, removed pin stripe, plate frame, 3rd brake light mod, Mopar tow hooks, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Phillips headlights

Mods to come: Bilstein 5100's (set at 2.8), 3/4" rear coil spacers, 20x9 Fuel Hostage III's, 35x12.50R20 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, led swap for interior, backup lights, and cargo lights, Plasti-Dip badges and emblems

Possible mods (eventually): 18" Magnaflow, Diablo, intake (Vararam, Mopar, unknown), bed cover, bed lights, tint front windows to match rear, remove front air dam, skid plates

The day I bought her: we had the dealer add a spray in liner before we picked it up. They also filled it up which was awesome since I have the big tank!

A few days after getting home my Weather Tech Laser Fit floor liners came in. Both are the over the hump style since I have the bench in the front.

Then of course had to add some decals to make it my own!

One major addition I had to make was tow hooks since the Express doesn't come with them. Ordered the Mopar hooks from eBay and fought to install them!

Due to the mold of the '14s bumper I had to install them "backwards" but they fit and work both ways. Mounted the factory direction would have caused them to rub on the paint constantly. This way gives me about a 1/4" gap from the paint.

The dealer had added some awful pin striping and of course their plate frames, badge, and mud flaps. That all got removed within a week. This is right after the pin stripe was removed and she got washed.

Then I discovered the 3rd brake light mod and immediately went to Lowe's to pick up what I needed. At just a few months old the water had already nearly made it through the factory seal.

And most recently I've added a DeeZee Tailgate Assist and Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra headlights (highs, lows, and fogs) but do not have pictures of the new ones at night yet.

Other things that have been done that I do not have pictures for are the switch to full synthetic Mobil1 at the first oil change and aluminum "HEMI" license plate frame on the rear.

I will get a picture of the new lights soon. Sorry for the long starting post, just wanted to get everything posted so far and have a place to work from! Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Reactions: Sphinx

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yea, I recently added another decal to the rear glass. If you can't tell I love to fish!

Also here are a few of her getting dirty!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got home from ordering my new wheels and tires! The shop where I am getting my Bilsteins was closed so that will have to wait until next week but with the holiday weekend I got a better deal and it will give me time to get the 5100's ordered and installed while I wait on my tires.

What I ordered:
20x9 (+1) Fuel Hostage III's wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

The pictures show the wheels and tires. The rim pictured with the tire isn't exactly because it doesn't have the black ring which mine will.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
:smileup: Can't wait to see it finished!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So last week I plasti-dipped my emblems. I was going to do the Ram head badges in 2 tone but apparently on the 2014's the front doesn't come apart so I did the whole thing and like it just fine. I've got a little touch up to do in a few places.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I had my Bilstein 5100's installed on the front! I had them set at 2.8 to clear my 35x12.50's. It sits just a tad nose high but tonight I'm going to order some 3/4" rear coil spacers from Top Gun Customz and put those in. TGC has them for $55 right now so that's not bad at all. I stopped into Discount Tire and saw my STT Pro's but my wheels won't be in until Tuesday or Wednesday so the waiting game continues. I love the 5100's so far though. It actually feels a lot higher inside. Can't wait for next week!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Great job on the plasti-dip. For reference, the front emblem WILL come out... you'll have to look on the backside of the grill and slowly release all four tabs that hold it against the grill and then pull gently until you release it from the grill. It's held on by not only those tabs, but also has some double sided tape to contend with.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great job on the plasti-dip. For reference, the front emblem WILL come out... you'll have to look on the backside of the grill and slowly release all four tabs that hold it against the grill and then pull gently until you release it from the grill. It's held on by not only those tabs, but also has some double sided tape to contend with.
Thanks! But I played heck getting it out because that tape was pretty stout but when I did I was face with this....

I had read other people saying that it came apart into 2 pieces but instead mine had 14 rivets holding the two pieces together. I don't really have a steady enough hand to hand paint the background white around the Ram's head so I'll proejust leave it as is.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got my wheels and tires installed today! 20x9 Fuel Hostage III's (+1 offset) wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's. Absolutely no scrubbing or rubbing and I don't think they look stuffed at all. There is actually more clearance between these and the UCA than there was with my factory wheels and tires. I know this isn't the best picture and I promise it doesn't sit way nose high. But my 1" rear spacers will be in by Monday and installed next weekend. More pictures to come.

Oh yea, also put about 60-70 miles on the tires tonight right after they were installed. There is a light hum while driving, it takes a little gas to get moving and it slows down more when you left off the gas. Really nothing major though. The 8-speed and 3.92's still leave me with plenty of grunt for getting them going!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some more recent pictures after testing the tires out a bit.

And then a little cleaning and shining of my Ram while my father-in-law did his Tundra 1794.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and I also got a new puppy so I have a new copilot! Meet Jenny!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Cute Dog!

I have no idea where you live but, if it's a normal city lot size, do yourself a favor:
Get a dog crate, that will work when the dog is full grown.

Fill the crate up with large boxes, so the puppy barely has enough room to turn around.

Before everyoen gets all crazy!
Only use this crate when you are not actively engaged with the dog.
Also, at night, for sleeping.

Dogs are not humans. they are dogs and will almost always seek out a confined space, for sleeping.They feel safer.

Now, when the dog is out, with you, it is your duty to teach that dog, not unlike a child. Have fun! ENjoy that new puppy! interact with him.

But, watch him, like a hawk. when he starts to circle, outside we go!

Grab teh dog, hold next to you and grab your leash.
go to teh same spot, everytime.

Our spot is behind teh garage. 24x foot long by about 8 ft wide area.
we started at teh very farthest endge. thats where we took all our dogs, everytime. gives them a 24ft long bathroom area and clean yard for my kids to play in, without worrying about rolling around in dog poop/

When you notice your dog is going to teh bathroom just pass the edge of your area, then ti is time to do poop patrol.

again

Everytime, dog, leach and you. set him down and ignore him.
Once he does his job, love and praise.
never outside, for more than 5 minutes.
This is a JOB, not fun time.

Will be hard, he will want to play and they are so darn cute

just ignore him. hold the leash, let him do whatever.
after 5 minutes, if he does not do any business, back inside you go.

If he should do any business, PRAISE THAT SMART LITTLE GUY!
Love, attention, pet him. get excited, he did his job, in teh right way and right area.

back inside.

This is not fun, takes alot of work but, after a couple of weeks. he will know to go to that same area, each and every time

Makes poop patrol much easier, when you ow where all the land mines will be.

Now, if he does not bond well with wife or kids. easy peasy way to fix it.
Dogs think in terms of who is the boss adn where am i in teh pecking order.
All family pet type dogs should be trained to believe they are the lowest rung in the order of importance. IE: all humans are higher, always.

How do we do this?
tie the leash to your belt loop.
Have wife do it too.

Actually makes watching the little guy, while you do your chores, much easier.

Teaches him to watch out for human feet(Real important for little dogs) and to follow the humans Lead.

Another trick is let each person feed the dog, no food in tray until teh human puts it there for him to eat.

Good Luck and enjoy your new life long friend.

Wish I had kept some of the training & housebreaking tips we used to give to folks but got rid of all that stuff, long ago. oh well . . .

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! She's doing awesome already! We couldn't complain about any of her behavior if we wanted to. Not sure how we got so lucky! She still fits in my truck with the center flipped up but will soon be transitioning to the back seat. It's just my wife and I right now so there is really never anyone in the back.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a crappy pic while I wait on my wife to come out of an appointment. Man I love my truck!

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Your Ram is coming along nicely
It is nice to see what others are doing with their rides to make it their own

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your Ram is coming along nicely
It is nice to see what others are doing with their rides to make it their own
Thanks! It's a slow process. I would love to just throw a bunch of money at it and do everything that I can dream up but truck mods are pretty low on the priority list for where money can go!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after emailing Coverking to check on the status of my order I was told that they ran out of Cordura Ballistic in black material and should have it next week. So now my seat covers are delayed by two weeks! I was really hoping to put them on this weekend.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after emailing Coverking to check on the status of my order I was told that they ran out of Cordura Ballistic in black material and should have it next week. So now my seat covers are delayed by two weeks! I was really hoping to put them on this weekend.
After being told my covers were delayed two weeks, I got an email this morning with tracking numbers saying both front and rear covers have shipped. Spent 20 minutes on the phone with Coverking to figure out what was going on and learned that it was an automation error apparently and my covers will be delivered by Tuesday! :smileup:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Truck is looking good. I would like to throw money at mine to but have to go slow
Thanks! Yea I've been informed that truck mods from here on out are few and far between. As long as it keeps peace in the house it's ok!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts