DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new here..

I'm looking for suggestions on a step stool or platform so that I can work safely on my engine. I have a plastic two step step stood that works ok, but it kicks out when I lean way into the engine compartment without rubber feet, and then I slide down the fender. Which brings up my next question. How should I protect the paint when I'm leaning over a fender?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Don't have a good step stool solution but I drape a small moving blanket from Harbor freight over the edge of wherever I am leaning to prevent damage.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hello everyone, new here..

I'm looking for suggestions on a step stool or platform so that I can work safely on my engine. I have a plastic two step step stood that works ok, but it kicks out when I lean way into the engine compartment without rubber feet, and then I slide down the fender. Which brings up my next question. How should I protect the paint when I'm leaning over a fender?

Thanks!
this is a fairly common method to prevent scratches to the fender paint when work on cars and trucks
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Magnetic-Fender-Mechanics-Protector/dp/B00U9RHP0W

·
Registered
103 Posts
Price range to spend?

I use a “Mechanic Creeper Mechanics Topside Garage Seat Foldable Traxion 3-100-FFP Floor ”. I bought it through ebay, it was about $200. I had back surgery about 4 years ago and this tool make it easy to work over the engine bay.
I use moving blankets for paint protection also.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
You want a topside creeper. Kinda expensive but there simply isn't anything else that works as well. I'm probably going to ask for one for Christmas, it looks like it'd make plug changes waaaaayyyy easier than the way I usually do it:

My wife took that pic because it amused her

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,606 Posts
Thunderhorse - Your wife has a great sense of humor! If it wasn't so uncomfortable for you, we would probably think it was amusing, too. No, I am not laughing, but maybe a little grin. :hah:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys..

After searching around sounds like bathroom rugs are great with the rubber backing keeping them on the truck. To bad they dont make them with pockets.

As far as a "topside creeper".. I don't have enough room in my garage for one. I have maybe 2' at the front. But I wont complain to much because I do have a garage.

The tire step is neat, but what if you need to move to the front?

I guess I will continue to use my stool, but put it on some carpet..

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I use the softest blanket I can find and make sure the fender is washed before I lean on it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The carpet still allows my stool to slide out when I lean in. Its funny if your watching.

The bath mats work great with the rubber holding them on. Magnets attract metal shavings..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts