DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 2012 QC Big Horn and I'm trying to find some steps for it that don't extend too far from the cab. I really like the look of the Raptor and Mopar chrome steps, but I've read that the Raptors extend a little far out from the truck (and the Mopar are expensive). I'd like to get a set that stay fairly close to the body but have the look of the two types that I mentioned.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Suss

·
Registered
17 Posts
Put on 5" Ovals and they stick out too far for me, but if they were back under you would not have much to step on. I don't need them but my most important person does! lol

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I will agree with you the Mopar ones are expensive. But if you wait long enough and search around on Ebay you will run across sellers who are trying to get rid of some that are lightly damaged. I bought mine for $150 and they only had 2 little dents in them that you can't really see unless you crouch down and really look at it. Came with all mounting hardware and instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same concerns. The Raptor 5 inch oval tube steps I ordered just came in this weekend. I put the first one on late last night. If you were to run a string between the front and rear tires' outer edges, the steps appear to extened about 1 1/2 inch beyond this line. Still pondering it before putting on the second step. I'd have to agree with RonmacRam however. If you look at the step pad top down with the door open, it's right where it needs to be if sturdy footing is your concern. 2 inches closer to the truck and you'd not have a lot to step on. I'm clumsy enough as it is, I don't need to be slipping and falling getting out of the truck. But if you have kids and a short wife, their needs might be your first concern.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got my ram with factory installed side steps (crew cab) Mostly because my fiance is short and its easier for her to get in. I myself am 6'4" and even I find myself using them. They sit nice and tight to the body but are still easy to use in my opinion.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought the Mopar factory type ovals as well. I haven't measured but they appear to stick out almost an inch from the tire line. If they get too close they are harder to use exiting than entering.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
N-Fab my friend!

I wanted the same thing, I hate those bulky steps that stick out past the cab/and wheels for that matter

Here are mine!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I really like my N-Fabs, it makes getting in & out much easier, kids have climbed in with no problem
When i bought mine, they only had the 2 step type, now they also make the 3 step type

Because i need to raise & lower my sign, i had mine modified by a muffler shop, so i could stand on the step & do it

another nice short persons modification is the DEBO STEP

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I like those, how is the enter and exit on these? Have a short wife!
My girlfriend loves them!

I used to give he shit because she rolled off my seat right down onto the ground, so all I thought of was those damn little buttoms and pins on those jeans rubbing as she dragged her butt off.

So she told me buy her some steps:SHOCKED: Im allowed to buy more stuff for the truck! Hell yeah ha

Steps will run you around 600$, not cheap my any means but held up amazing threw this first winter, no regrets!

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
If you dont want your steps sticking out why not go for the stealth look?

Then you open a door and viola

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was looking at those powersteps, do they seem good and sturdy? quality? Dont want to pay 1200 bucks for motorized steps if they aren't good quality, I'd be worried about the Motor burning out in them .. etc etc.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
Just went through my second winter with them and they have worked flawlessly. even with the slushy crap we had here this winter. when wheeling and the truck is coated in mud when you open the door and close it the mud stops them from completely disappearing. I was very worried when I saw that lol, but once you hose off the mud they work perfect again. Overall I am very happy with these boards

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, haven't seen that this thread was getting so much action!

I looked at those powersteps, but just can't justify dropping that much cash on steps at this point. You guys make some good points about them having to stick out a little bit to get some tread and steady footing though. Maybe I'll just suck it up and deal with it sticking out just a little if it means that A) My wife can get in and out without issue and B) That they are effective and keeping my doors from getting kicked.

Thanks for all the advice guys. At this point I think I might be leaning toward a 4" in the Westin's or Go Rhinos. Experience with these?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts