DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it’s been an interesting couple of weeks. Came out of work to discover my truck was missing. Our HR team scrubbed our cameras and discovered my truck was stolen at 4:25 PM, by a team of fellas that pulled up and spent a couple minutes getting into it and then left right away.

A8C61FD5-9F82-4514-9191-E25676BE210B.png

I got a call 10 days later that it had been recovered after a police chase 40 minutes or so from the Mexico border. tow service reported some front end damage and then sent me this picture. So far this is all the info I have. Curious if this will be repaired. 2016 1500 3.6 with 79K miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
"some front end damage" -- there's an understatement for ya. Until you have a complete inventory of the damage, no way to know, but you might want to argue that the engine may have been damaged and needs replacement; if they tore up the interior, that would add significant cost, etc., etc. If it was me, I'd probably be hoping they total it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"some front end damage" -- there's an understatement for ya. Until you have a complete inventory of the damage, no way to know, but you might want to argue that the engine may have been damaged and needs replacement; if they tore up the interior, that would add significant cost, etc., etc. If it was me, I'd probably be hoping they total it.
I agree. I was prepared to never see it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Better question, has there been any info given to you regarding how it was stolen? Curious since I personally haven't heard of many of the "key" models being taken. Push button start has it's issues and that seems more common (own a 2017 myself)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Better question, has there been any info given to you regarding how it was stolen? Curious since I personally haven't heard of many of the "key" models being taken. Push button start has it's issues and that seems more common (own a 2017 myself)
I haven’t gotten this info yet. The truck is still 2 hrs away and I’m not being told much. I have both keys in my possession so I am also very curious how it was taken.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,649 Posts
Push button start vehicles from Dodge are like taking candy from baby. It's totaled if out of warranty.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven’t gotten this info yet. The truck is still 2 hrs away and I’m not being told much. I have both keys in my possession so I am also very curious how it was taken.
You have the smart key that you have to plug in and crank it like a traditional start correct?

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,649 Posts
No better insurance than a hidden master disconnect switch, I'll even hand the smart key over and give you 5 minutes before curb stomping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got more info on the theft after seeing my truck today.

And for whatever reason, my power sliding rear window was swapped with a non slider.

·
Registered
2017 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB
95 Posts
Professional theft for sure.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,454 Posts
Sorry to hear of your theft. I would say the truck is totaled and you will be better off if it is. Who knows what damage was caused during a police chase. Engine, Transmission, suspension can go on and on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you notice when you start our trucks that have keys it is much like a push button, with the exception of actually inserting a key. i.e. you do not have to hold the key in the start position until the motor starts just switch it to start and let off the engine will start.
And it was pros they have the systems to over-ride the security features.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts