DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded there brakes yet?? If I installed the Hawk HPS brake pads is that going to shortin the stopping distance? Or is the truck just plain to heavy to make the stopping distance better?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
i don't think that just pads will make a major difference

things like largest diameter drilled & slotted rotors, multi piston calipers with matching pads is likely the best way to stop quicker

Stacy David had a project Ram 1500 Express, called the
http://staceydavid.com/projects/drag-n-wagon

he went so large on the BAER rotors (15" ), slotted & drilled, that he had to get special wheels made
i think he used 6 piston Calipers from Brembo

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Drilled & slotted rotors do help over the stock stuff, as well as a really GOOD quality set of brake pads all the way around the truck. These trucks are dam heavy, gonna take some effort to stop it no matter what you do. If you want the cheaper way out instead of buying 6 piston calipers, rotors and high quality pads, put a diesel truck hydro boost on it. Ther`s a few people around here that have done this with GREAT success...! I think one of the guys are on this forum, so do a search for hydro boost, you might find him. He has a really good right up with pics on how to do it.

·
Banned
972 Posts
The new pads will help some but not much. Also the baer or brembo big brake kits are over $4,000 so they're pricey but they will fit with the 22" R/T wheels and possibly the 20" wheels. Best thing would be lighter wheels(less rolling weight) and a big brake kit with performance pads if you want a big difference in braking distances

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
In an effort to get the most bang for your buck, I'd try simply upgrading the brake lines to braided stainless first. You might find that takes most of the sponge out of them relatively cheaply.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
The simple upgrades are slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors which will keep biting longer in high demand situations over conventional pads; then new pads, there's lots of good options, the Hawks and EBC greenstuff pads are my recommended pads; the SS braided brake lines as well as there will be less swell in the line as the pressure increases.

If you're serious about upgrading your system though, you need to spend the $$ and get a 15" rotor and 6-8 piston caliper setup. I did my pads, rotors, and brake lines and there was a noticable difference over the stock when stopping my 22s.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Kurtis I'm going to see if the SRT Brembo's I have will work.... may just stick them on the truck rather than on the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know ever vehicle is different but coming from a sports car, if I upgraded just the pads and lines I got a better brake feel and shorter stopping distance. I owned a subaru sti. most people in those forums agreed that the slotted and drilled rotors and mainly for show unless you are racing your vehicle. I understand the benefits of having slotted or drilled rotors (gets rid of heat better) I also understand the big brake kits. I am not looking for a sports car brakes.. I own a truck. I was just wondering how much of a differance I will get with just upgrading the pads and maybe the lines?? Is it even worth it??

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Pads and lines are an absolute must if you want to shorten your stopping distance OR if you upgrade to bigger tires or wheels as you need more braking power than the stock set up since you have a larger rotating mass compared to stock wheels/tires. It's definately worth it, and I agree, the rotors are more for performance/shows, but they are also a big help if you tow anything.

The short answer is yes, it is a worthwhile upgrade, even if it's just pads/lines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you can stop hard enough to activate ABS, nothing you change with your brakes is going to make it stop any faster. Bigger brakes are bigger heat sinks, they will last longer before they fade. Not usually an issue on the street.
More aggressive pads will increase 'bite', but are your tires sticky enough to exploit that? They will also deposit brake dust on your wheels faster.
Different pads might provide better feel and initial bite though. Are you sure your brakes are currently working optimally? Glazing or some oil contamination of pads & rotors , air in the system, moisture in your fluid are things you might consider.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I cant rule out that there might be something wrong with the current brake system. I will be checking out that before I upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts