DODGE RAM FORUM banner

straight pipes

3390 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  mrideau
im getting ready to get true dual straight pipes on my 2012 1500. it already has the stock dual after the exhaust but like i said im running dual all the way from the 2 cats in the front.
my question is what is the advantages and disadvantages from straight pipes opposed to magnaflow or flowmaster? also i heard some anout tuning it after you get the straight pipes? any info on that would be nice to
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17,477 Posts
The exhaust will be louder which could be an advantage or a disadvantage.

You'll have less back pressure which will hurt your performance on the low end.

· Registered
1,048 Posts
You will lose some low end but will gain on your top end. And it will be very loud. I did a muffler delete and straight piped it and lost .2 on my 0-60 but gained on my top end. Pulls very hard 60-120MPH. You can off set the low end loss with a high stall torque converter.

· Registered
36 Posts
I originally ran 2 pipes from the cats back to the Y when I took the muffler off.Truck didnt like it.Lost 3/10's 0-60 but ran the same in the 1/8th..Put a single 4" in its place and picked up a 1/2 second.Pulls like mad above 3,500.Keep the 2 resonators and there is no drone whatsoever while cruising and it'll bark when you want it to.

Attachments

· Registered
87 Posts
I did an exhaust cut out dump before the muffler and it's the best of both worlds I get the obnoxious sound level I want when I want it and with a click of a button I have the deep sound with my magnaflow muffler.

Couldn't go wrong with a Raceland 3" cutout and free install at a local shop.

· Registered
351 Posts
I have a true dual setup. I wish you could hear it at "w.o.t" it sure sounds awesome. I get great responses from people when they hear it. There is very little drone when cruising at 60mph. I just love the sound and performance. Jay Greene did an amazing job with a custom tune. I run JBA LT headers no cats and a Magna Flow 11" true dual muffler and no resonators with 5" tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.