DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what does the capicitor do that the relay doesn't? I can't hear the buzzing inside so it really doesn't bother me that much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So what does the capicitor do that the relay doesn't? I can't hear the buzzing inside so it really doesn't bother me that much.
The capacitor smooths out the signal into the relay. Instead of a sequence of pulses, it will be a constant voltage. If your relay is chattering like that, you really need a capacitor.

If you mean the headlight connector you cant plug that in backwards if you mean the hid ballast connector then ya that can go in backwards but it wont make it do that
Yes, you can

Actually if you get the harness with the relay you dont need a separate capacitor
Yes, given the noise of the relay, he does

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The capacitor smooths out the signal into the relay. Instead of a sequence of pulses, it will be a constant voltage. If your relay is chattering like that, you really need a capacitor.

Yes, you can

Yes, given the noise of the relay, he does
Well sorry but on mine only way you putting the factory head light harness in backwards is first to grind down the clip that stops you from doing that and 2nd push like a mother just looked at my stock headlights and ya those are not going in backwards. As far as the buzzing i asked a professional who retro fits and sells the headlights and hid kits he said to check every wire and if it still does it the harness is bad , give that a try and see what happens. Figured id ask a guy that does it to see if i could point you in right direction

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well sorry but on mine only way you putting the factory head light harness in backwards is first to grind down the clip that stops you from doing that and 2nd push like a mother just looked at my stock headlights and ya those are not going in backwards. As far as the buzzing i asked a professional who retro fits and sells the headlights and hid kits he said to check every wire and if it still does it the harness is bad , give that a try and see what happens. Figured id ask a guy that does it to see if i could point you in right direction
Where the wiring comes through the grommet, and is connected to the input of the relay harness, the connector can be flipped over. You could also take the pins out of any connector and swap them.

My relay harness made the exact same chatter demonstrated in the video. I swapped the headlight connector, to put the capacitor on the correct side, and it's been dead silent ever since. The OP needs a capacitor, plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
So if my relay buzzes like that (well it did untill it blew out I'm sure) how and where would I put a capacitor? I have another relay that I want to put on but want to do the capacitor so the voltage is correct.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So if my relay buzzes like that (well it did untill it blew out I'm sure) how and where would I put a capacitor? I have another relay that I want to put on but want to do the capacitor so the voltage is correct.
You want the positive side connected to both the positive side of the input from the original headlight wiring and the coil of the relay. Connect the negative side to ground.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts