DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I owned the truck for almost two weeks now and love it, but I noticed an unusual problem. There is a small,white plastic solenoid behind the glove box that started ticking at random times.

Today, a few minutes after leaving work it started ticking and never stopped. I'm not sure what it controls, but looks like a flapper control for the ventilation. I didn't have the a/c, heat, fan or anything on when it started. I first tried turning the fan on then rotated to higher speeds....no luck...it continued. I switched the control from vents to defroster stopping every position in between....no luck....it continued. I tried switching the a/c on...no luck. I ended up pulling off the road and unplugging the clip that supplies power to it and it stopped. The controls all appear to function normally still. My truck is still under warranty and I plan to take it there to get it repaired but I'm trying to understand what it is and why it's doing it.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
That's the geiger counter, it ticks when your not driving the hemi hard enough :D

I have no idea what that solenoid could be for. Any chance of a pic of the little ticker?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
they had a flash/update for the hvac, ur truck might be under it and solve that issue!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I would call the dealer and give them ur VIN they should be able to tell u if needs to be flashed for that HVAC update/issue and if ur truck isnt under that category then I would take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty if it still is

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is it a ticking or more of a knocking noise???? My 09 just started doing this, it sounds like someone is knocking on the plastic where the front cup holders are at on center of console. is this what yours is doing???? Samething no ac/heat on etc

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet it is the K 17 recall issue

Recall notice is "Customer Satisfaction Notification K17" and covers 2009 and 2010 models.

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/pdf/K17.pdf
I believe this is the issue. I took a video of it clicking but I'm not sure how to post it here.

I have an appointment to take it to the local dealer to get it fixed monday.

Thanks for the help guys....you all rock!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a ticking or more of a knocking noise???? My 09 just started doing this, it sounds like someone is knocking on the plastic where the front cup holders are at on center of console. is this what yours is doing???? Samething no ac/heat on etc
It's a loud, annoying tick that is one constant speed. If you remove your glove box and look up and to the left, you'll find it. It kinda stands out because it's the only white plastic around there. I think the guys nailed this one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It sounds like a "blend door actuator" or another actuator in the A/C system. The software update may fix it but your Ram may also require the actuator to be replaced. Mine was updated in October and also required the actuator to be replaced. Fortunately, I never had a problem with the a/c prior to the recall. Fixed at the dealer no charge.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah im bringing mine in Monday. the funny part is my wife was driving the truck the day it started, she got scared and jumped out of the truck and ran inside where I was saying there was a animal stuck in my dash, I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had this recall done on my 09 hemi ram 1 1/2 yrs ago. The noise is just like you described. They will do a reflash and replace some actuator arms if necessary. Yours probably need replaced, mine did.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Anybody in here that has a 2010 and had the K17 recall done..?
I never had any problem with my HVAC until they reflashed mine.
Now it clicks all the time since they reflashed it. I knew i should have told them to leave it alone.
Here i go A-G-A-I-N, everytime the fuggin dealer touchs my truck, it ALWAYS ends up in worse condition.

This dosent pertain to the HVAC, but just another recall issue i had....
had the tie-rod recall done, steering wheel now off center, trucks constantly pulls right.
The truck drove PERFECTLY before the recall..!!!! (nother mistake letting them work on it)
I even went to the tire shop, replaced ALL 4 tires with NEW TIRES, still the same problem.
This is not the only tsb or recall issue i`ve had with this truck and them screwing it up.
I am so fed up by these dealerships that i could just go on a rampage with all of them...!
I`d love to drive this truck right thru their showroom and just burn it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anybody in here that has a 2010 and had the K17 recall done..?
I never had any problem with my HVAC until they reflashed mine.
Now it clicks all the time since they reflashed it. I knew i should have told them to leave it alone.
Here i go A-G-A-I-N, everytime the fuggin dealer touchs my truck, it ALWAYS ends up in worse condition.

This dosent pertain to the HVAC, but just another recall issue i had....
had the tie-rod recall done, steering wheel now off center, trucks constantly pulls right.
The truck drove PERFECTLY before the recall..!!!! (nother mistake letting them work on it)
I even went to the tire shop, replaced ALL 4 tires with NEW TIRES, still the same problem.
This is not the only tsb or recall issue i`ve had with this truck and them screwing it up.
I am so fed up by these dealerships that i could just go on a rampage with all of them...!
I`d love to drive this truck right thru their showroom and just burn it.

It's a 2010 so it should still be under warranty. I'd continue to take it back. Keep all your documentation for each time. Last resort........use the Lemon Law.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a strange ticking sound on leftside of the steering column under the dash. Almost sounds like a solenoid click but only clicks when I hit a bump or disturbance in the road. I've looked under the dash and can't find anything loose. Had it to the dealer twice and they have tried different things to remedy and then it quits only to have it do it again the next time out. Strange thing is it will do it before I go wash the truck and after it's washed it doesn't do it for a couple days.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a strange ticking sound on leftside of the steering column under the dash. Almost sounds like a solenoid click but only clicks when I hit a bump or disturbance in the road. I've looked under the dash and can't find anything loose. Had it to the dealer twice and they have tried different things to remedy and then it quits only to have it do it again the next time out. Strange thing is it will do it before I go wash the truck and after it's washed it doesn't do it for a couple days.
Do what I did.....take a video of it. Then you have proof and can share it with the dealer.

Good luck! :smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts