DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recently purchased a Ram 1500 Big Horn two weeks ago. It has the Hemi v-8 engine. The truck is awesome! I drove a few other trucks before I decided on a Ram. But there have been a few sounds that have definitely gotten my attention. The Ram now has just over 500 miles on it.

First: After I drove it off the lot I stopped by the house to show my wife and then drove to my parents. They loaded up and got into the truck and we headed down the neighborhood at about 10-20mph. The truck started to make a sound I can only describe from memory as a light rev or hum. It continued until I pulled over and turned the truck off and restarted it. I was definitely bugged by it because this is a brand new truck. Fast forward to today, and that same thing has happened about 4 times. I would say maybe once every 10 starts.

Second: On Friday, we loaded up the truck and headed to a wedding about 200 miles away. Funny enough, the first issue I talked about happened so I pulled over in my neighborhood and turned off the truck and then turned it back on. Then continued onto the freeway. Once I was on the freeway I kept feeling and hearing a sound through the music, so I muted it. It was definitely a new sound as I have been on the freeway and highways prior. I determined the sound would occur between going 60-68mph. It typically happens when I let off the pedal and cost. I continued driving through and made it to my destination. But now I am noticing it happening at lower speeds such as 25-30mph. I think it happens whenever I am coasting or slowing down.

If I had to explain the sound it would be a loud hum maybe.. It is hard to explain the sound. I will drive it again tomorrow and see if I can narrow it down better.

I have not experienced and jerking from the transmission as I have read in other posts that had similar experiences. I am at 500 miles and still love this truck but there are a few things that do not sound normal for a new truck. I really do not want to hear that for the next 10+ years.

At this point, I think I will take it in to get looked at. This probably wasn't the best or most accurate explanation you've ever heard, but best I can do right now (12:47AM). I appreciate any advice or ideas anyone has.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The truck started to make a sound I can only describe from memory as a light rev or hum. It continued until I pulled over and turned the truck off and restarted it. I was definitely bugged by it because this is a brand new truck. Fast forward to today, and that same thing has happened about 4 times. I would say maybe once every 10 starts.
I am not positive which items are in the Big Horn package, but the new Rams potentially have 1) active noise cancellation 2) cylinder deactivation, and 3) "frame shakers" to reduce the impact of #2.

There is definitely a TSB out already for issues with active noise cancellation. I do wonder though if you could be noticing the cylinder deactivation? That will come into play at steady cruise and go away under slight acceleration. You can disable cylinder activation (temporarily) by using the +/- buttons on the steering wheel to put it into 'manual' mode. If you leave it in D7 or D8, cylinder deactivation will disable but everything else will remain the same. See if that changes anything.

The deactivation is very smooth on my Ram, but you CAN tell it is happening if you are listening for it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! Sorry you are having issues.

Could the culprit be the seat cooling perhaps? Mine is like a tomb if I have the AC below 3 and the seat cooling on low. If I turn the seat on high, you can def hear a the fan, but it’s not super loud, just there, and after a few seconds I tune it out.

Neurobit

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is your ventilated seats.............this issue has been shared by a number of us. They are louder than some are used to. Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore after 1 week or so of ownership

·
Registered
677 Posts
The 2019 BigHorn has Ventilated seats? That’s cool because that wasn’t an option on anything but the Sport and standard on Laramie when I was looking at 2017’s.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The 2019 BigHorn has Ventilated seats? That’s cool because that wasn’t an option on anything but the Sport and standard on Laramie when I was looking at 2017’s.
Oh!!! I assumed it did.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I'd be money its MDS.

E-Torque isn't a mode for the Hemi, it is a hybrid option built into the Hemi if you have the option. Either its an Etorque Hemi or it isn't-since the OP has his truck in hand and its a Bighorn I'm assuming its not an Etorque

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd be money its MDS.

E-Torque isn't a mode for the Hemi, it is a hybrid option built into the Hemi if you have the option. Either its an Etorque Hemi or it isn't-since the OP has his truck in hand and its a Bighorn I'm assuming its not an Etorque

Thank GOD mine doesn't humm or shake when entering MDS. I can only tell if I turn the music off, AC off, hold my head 2 inches from the front left corner of the window and close my right eye. That's just how hard it is to really tell in my truck.

Now, coming from a GMC........yeah, I'll take this Ram's MDS anyday. GMC...I could feel my butt vibrate, the pedal vibrate, and a drone that would enter the cab.

Before buying, I read that Ram did something with "frame shakers" of some sort........mine seem to be working great

Reactions: gofishn

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I mean its going to 4 cylinders so its going to be less smooth and have a 4 banger exhaust note, you just may not hear or feel it

·
Registered
247 Posts
I mean its going to 4 cylinders so its going to be less smooth and have a 4 banger exhaust note, you just may not hear or feel it
Yeah, I know what it's doing ........just saying I don't hear the humm or strange sound the OP is mentioning. And I'm being completely honest when I say, I cannot feel it going to 4 cylinders....the smoothness is the same. I've read articles where they say changes were added to the 19. As stated, my GMC.......yeah, it sounded like a helicopter droning and when I pressed the gas, it took a second. Not with my Ram. I'm not sure how previous years Rams were.........but I'm happy with the way this MDS is set up

I deactivated it on my GMC..........no need to on my Ram because I honestly don't feel it in any way whatsoever

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Ram has had a good MDS for quite some time but they did refine it for '19. It was very obvious in my '07 although still not objectionable. My '14 is very subtle, at first I could not detect it at all. Now I can if everything else is quiet but no one but me is even aware of it. It gets a lot worse it you change the exhaust because then as Thunderhorse said you can hear the 4 banger exhaust note. I've got stock exhaust & air box and I keep the windows up so I never hear that 4 banger note.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ram has had a good MDS for quite some time but they did refine it for '19. It was very obvious in my '07 although still not objectionable. My '14 is very subtle, at first I could not detect it at all. Now I can if everything else is quiet but no one but me is even aware of it. It gets a lot worse it you change the exhaust because then as Thunderhorse said you can hear the 4 banger exhaust note. I've got stock exhaust & air box and I keep the windows up so I never hear that 4 banger note.

For the life of me I do not know what MDS sounds like. My truck is like a tomb it’s so quiet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A recently purchased a Ram 1500 Big Horn two weeks ago. It has the Hemi v-8 engine. The truck is awesome! I drove a few other trucks before I decided on a Ram. But there have been a few sounds that have definitely gotten my attention. The Ram now has just over 500 miles on it.

First: After I drove it off the lot I stopped by the house to show my wife and then drove to my parents. They loaded up and got into the truck and we headed down the neighborhood at about 10-20mph. The truck started to make a sound I can only describe from memory as a light rev or hum. It continued until I pulled over and turned the truck off and restarted it. I was definitely bugged by it because this is a brand new truck. Fast forward to today, and that same thing has happened about 4 times. I would say maybe once every 10 starts.

Second: On Friday, we loaded up the truck and headed to a wedding about 200 miles away. Funny enough, the first issue I talked about happened so I pulled over in my neighborhood and turned off the truck and then turned it back on. Then continued onto the freeway. Once I was on the freeway I kept feeling and hearing a sound through the music, so I muted it. It was definitely a new sound as I have been on the freeway and highways prior. I determined the sound would occur between going 60-68mph. It typically happens when I let off the pedal and cost. I continued driving through and made it to my destination. But now I am noticing it happening at lower speeds such as 25-30mph. I think it happens whenever I am coasting or slowing down.

If I had to explain the sound it would be a loud hum maybe.. It is hard to explain the sound. I will drive it again tomorrow and see if I can narrow it down better.

I have not experienced and jerking from the transmission as I have read in other posts that had similar experiences. I am at 500 miles and still love this truck but there are a few things that do not sound normal for a new truck. I really do not want to hear that for the next 10+ years.

At this point, I think I will take it in to get looked at. This probably wasn't the best or most accurate explanation you've ever heard, but best I can do right now (12:47AM). I appreciate any advice or ideas anyone has.

Thanks!
I too have the same problem...I have 400miles on it...its been at the dealer for the last week. they can't figure it out. mine hums loud when I'm coasting or decelerating around 26-27, 40-41 and 51-52 mph...never happens when accelerating..I will not put up with that noise. if they can't find the problem, I'm going lemon law...will not drive not knowing if it is dangerous..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have two similar issues. One hum occurs around 1500-1600 rpms (at times). The other occurs randomly and is definitely a LOUD hum. The dealer could not replicate the loud hum and it has only occurred once since the second time it did it. The softer hum seems to occur when the ac condenser is on but I have to double check that this weekend as my wife is the primary driver

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2015 charger had a screen where you could see if the 4 banger mode was on. Being a 392, it was VERY noticeable when the engine kicked down into 4 banger mode. Because the exhaust was already loud, it sounded like someone put a cone on the tailpipe.

Next time it happens, give it a little gas. If it sounds like it "switches" back to normal sounding, it's definitely the eco stuff kicking off. Coast a little longer and it will "switch" back on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 84 Posts