DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 ram 2500 6.4 auto with 4.10's that I ordered new. I noticed that when I rotated the tires at 8k and was right around the same time I first used the fwd I started to feel this vibe in the floorboard. Brought it to the dealer and they balanced the tires of course, have to start somewhere and it did seem to change it. It was between 60-80, come and go but now it seems to be around 70mph. It's not rpm related, it's not the mds since I can put it in tow mode and it's still there. The last time I had a vibration like this it was a driveshaft. Of course I coated the underside of my truck with fluid film and painted the driveshafts with POR15. Going back in on Tuesday so they can swap out a set of tires from a new truck then the rear shaft to see if it makes a difference since I'm the only one that can feel it. I'm waiting for them to blame the pain on the shaft. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to think that it but i would think it would have been there the whole time since new? i had ordered an old style 1999 chevy 2500 before with a 350 and it had a slight vibe at 80 mph since new that was passed off as exhaust drone. it had cracked the transfer case 3 times before i had finally got a more heavy duty unit from a diesel truck that required a slightly shorter drive shaft. so i ordered one from denny's and sure enough that vibrartion was gone and the case never cracked again. it would also take about 30k miles before the thing would crack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To follow up with this it ended up being the tires. I never had such a high frequency vibration from tires. I had to get the owner involved since the service advisors seemed to not want the techs to road test it with me or let them drive it home to feel it themselves. They ended up balancing the front tires and now it's just about 100% gone. Can just feel a tiny vibe around 70 but only because I drive it everyday.

·
Super Moderator
34,461 Posts
FWIW tow/haul doesn't disable MDS, but if you engage the Electronic Range Select (ERS) with the gear +/- buttons on the steering wheel it does. If you set it to 6 it will act normal, just MDS will be disabled. Its a free way to disable MDS without a tuner, you just have to do it every time you put it in drive

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? That surprises me, when I have it in tow mode the eco light never comes on but when I use the ers and leave it in 6 like I do a lot the eco light still comes on.

·
Super Moderator
34,461 Posts
Really? That surprises me, when I have it in tow mode the eco light never comes on but when I use the ers and leave it in 6 like I do a lot the eco light still comes on.
The eco light just means you're driving in an economical manner, it is not an MDS indicator. Tow/haul only alters the shift schedule to keep RPMs higher than usual to help with engine braking and keep you in the power band, which is not economical and likely why you never see it. ERS just locks out certain gears and disables MDS, but the eco light can still come on when in 8 cyl mode, even when MDS is not disabled

·
Registered
103 Posts
The eco light may be turned off. Mine in my Powerwagon was turned off. It is located in one of the menus on the dash display.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 6.4 and some of that information is incorrect for the heavy duties. Tow/haul does disable mds on the 6.4 and the eco light does correspond with mds with the 6.4 in the heavy duties. Those items don't work the same on the 6.4 heavy duty as they do on the half tons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts