DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my truck in 2000 and, unfortunately, it has never been garaged. The paint started peeling soon after purchase. Only the stripes remain on the cabs top and the hood and parts of the drivers side look bad also. It has a fiberglass lid with a small chip. I also need to repair a couple of small dents...one in the rocker from a blown tire and another above the rear wheel.

I cannot afford a quality paint job but it is quite ugly in it's current state. I would like it to look half-way decent until I can afford to have it painted. I was thinking of driving it with a self-applied black primer for a while. I would like to apply the primer in my driveway. I do own an HVLP sprayer.

What problems arise with only primer and no top-coat?

Did Chrysler use bad paint or primer?

Is necessary to strip down to bare metal?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An old freind with 36 years of paint and body experience (he has his own shop) told me that he would charge over $4000 for the paint job. Considering that the truck is not worth that much and I cannot garage it, that would definitely be a bad investment, not to mention that it is unfordable. He suggested Maco. Maco estimated $1800. I found online horror stories about Maco plus I cannot afford $1800.

79 views and no replies. Am I on the wrong forum?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts