DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a stock 2007 Ram 5.7. What do I need to upgrade to put a sts twin turbo on my truck. I'm talkin from the engine to the trany to the drive shaft to gear ratios. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to working on trucks so i need some of your guys opinions. And money really isn't an issue, by saying that I want to put top of the line mods on so my truck wont fall apart with the twin turbo.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Nick

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I believe there is a company that makes stronger transmissions, called Sheradan or something like that. The drive shaft and rear end should hold up fine. The trans is probably the weak link with high hp on these trucks. Also, with boost you may run into issues with piston damage as the top ring is very close to the top of the piston. I believe it's that way for emissions purposes.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
If you plan on a twin turbo setup you'd need to look at how much boost you want to run. 6-8psi is fine on stock tranny and rotating assembly, but any more and you'd have to start looking at a tranny swap as well aa forged rotating assembly. Head studs would also be a must as you'd start lifting the heads off the block at high boost. You'd also want to upgrade to a new intake manifold since the stock plastic one doesn't handle body very well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, another question though

Thanks guys for the help. would putting a cold air intake on it or some sort of nice exhaust system help any anywhere or is that stuff optional? and can you run twin turbos with a some sort of programer?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
With turbo you will have basically a completely custom intake and exhaust(unless you get a kit, that will likely have everything including the intake and exhaust). Also you will need custom tuning.

You probably either need to try to do a lot of research on the subject to figure out what you need, and I'd go with a kit as it will bolt on and work for sure. Another option is pay a shop to do everything for you...

·
Registered
747 Posts
With turbo you will have basically a completely custom intake and exhaust(unless you get a kit, that will likely have everything including the intake and exhaust). Also you will need custom tuning.

You probably either need to try to do a lot of research on the subject to figure out what you need, and I'd go with a kit as it will bolt on and work for sure. Another option is pay a shop to do everything for you...
I agree here. Start with researching the basics so you can get an idea of how everything works. I mean the bare bone basics, down to how and why added power is created when going to forced induction. It will give you a better understanding of what you are getting into, answer a lot of your own questions, and save you a lot of money. ......wasted money...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts