DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 dodge ran 1500 4x4. My passenger side axle is stuck . It is the differential side. All the vids I have watched just shows you pry and smack it till it pops out. Mine just wont come out. Am i missing something? Is there another step that I have to do before it will pop out? Right now i have a chain hooked to my atv winch putting some pressure on it. Still no dice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I am guessing your talking about the end at the differential. Normally they have a snap ring on the end that sort of locks it into the diff. It SHOULD sort of pop out. But they can be a PIA. If you can get a pry stick in between the axle and diff housing should get it. If you pull to much just on axle it will separate it at the tripod joint. Autozone may have the slidehammer tool you can borrow. It has a U shaped piece that goes around the housing of joint, then you try to get it out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Keep the pressure on with the winch and give it a sharp smack with a swing press(your favorite hammer).If it doesn't come then the snap ring/spring clip is bound up and it's going to be fun getting that out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
We had a nearly new GM 4X4 with an axle leak on the left front.The stub axle wouldn't pop out no way no how.Spring clip was jammed up.We pulled the diff apart and tried to press the axle out of the side gear and we ended up busting the alum. housing and it still didn't let go.Didn't matter because the guy was getting a new diff anyways.We just wanted to see what it would take to get it apart.Unbelievable how tight it can be jammed up and no way to get the clip out because it's pinched between the side gear and the shaft.Basically a wedge in there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The right hand side you should be able to unbolt the axle tube and get to the clip and remove it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CVx20. Hmmm not understanding this. My truck has a cvc axle. Ive removed everything except for the cup that houses the last joint on the axle. There are no bolts that I can see.

·
Registered
391 Posts
CVx20. Hmmm not understanding this. My truck has a cvc axle. Ive removed everything except for the cup that houses the last joint on the axle. There are no bolts that I can see.
Sorry.Was thinking it was a different set-up.Good luck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
You could try giving it a couple of sharp jolts inward before pulling outward.It might help seat the spring clip/snap/ring back to where it should be and then pull.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok boys and girls. Been slide hammering away on my cv axle for a couple of hrs with no luck. this all started being a simple hub replacement. The axle threads were damaged freeing it up. So I decided I would just replace the axle. So now I guess since I cant free the axle up, I have to go deeper down the rabbit hole so to speak. Im thinking remove the stub shaft with the axle.? What kind of a nightmare am I looking at to do this. Right now Im thinking I should of taken my truck to the mechanic. Well Im getting an education if nothing else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't give up. I have a 2011 1500 just had to go through the same thing. Beat on it for a day and thought about taking it to a mechanic but oh wait, front end was a part couldn't get it back together to drive it to the dealer. Did a little research wound up replacing the stub shaft and it was the best $300 I ever spent! I took the whole CV shaft out with the stub shaft on it in like 10 minutes and had the new axle and stub shaft back in with the new Hub in 45 minutes. Just break down buy the stub shaft! Apparently it's a known problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picatinny. Right on brother! I pulled the cv axle out with the stub shaft this morning. Got the new axle installed . Then i thought since I have it all apart I might as well do the ball joints. So I borrowed the ball joint press from Oreillys and bought the upper and lower joints. Well of course i ruined the new lower ball joint trying to press it in with that pos joint press. Let me tell ya those press kits need a bigger selection of spacers. So tomorrow I will buy a new joint and try to find a different joint press. :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
2006 dodge ran 1500 4x4. My passenger side axle is stuck . It is the differential side. All the vids I have watched just shows you pry and smack it till it pops out. Mine just wont come out. Am i missing something? Is there another step that I have to do before it will pop out? Right now i have a chain hooked to my atv winch putting some pressure on it. Still no dice.

I had an 05 same-same.

Tried prying but i started deforming the aluminum(?) housing (differential? axle?) anywhere around where I could get leverage/angle to pry against. Seemed that it just wasn't coming out no way no how. Any place i tried to leverage just got itself marred and dinged up and the shaft wasn't coming out at all. Ended up put it back together and limped 3 miles to a local mechanic and paid for the problem to go away.
I was too defeated to even bother asking how he beat that problem....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just unbolt the seal and pull the whole cv shaft with the seal and stub out. If the cv shaft is that stuck then most likely the inner stub is bad too anyhow and will need to be replaced. It will all come out together and easily. Buy both pieces new from dodge as the aftermarket ones are usually garbage and will not lock together easily anyhow. Ask me how I know that. I assume your changing this because of a wobbly cv shaft and front end vibration?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just unbolt the seal and pull the whole cv shaft with the seal and stub out. If the cv shaft is that stuck then most likely the inner stub is bad too anyhow and will need to be replaced. It will all come out together and easily. Buy both pieces new from dodge as the aftermarket ones are usually garbage and will not lock together easily anyhow. Ask me how I know that. I assume your changing this because of a wobbly cv shaft and front end vibration?
Started out as a bad Hub/bearing. The hub was siezed up and I messed up the CV shaft getting it off So had to get a replacement. Did just what you said and got it put back together today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok guys.Much to my dismay, after getting my truck put back together I went for a test drive and its still making the exact same noise as before. Growling /humming noise while driving. Steer right get worse. Steer left gets better. Jacked the front end back up to check everything. everything seems tight and ok. So Im thinking could this be coming from the rear wheels? Jacked the rear up and the passenger side rolls easy and smooth. the drivers rolls smooth for about a 3/4 turn then binds up slightly. put a little more effort to it and it eventually rolls smooth again. Im thinking thats the culprit. I need an expert opinion to confirm my conclusion. And thanks for all the help so far brothers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picatinny. Right on brother! I pulled the cv axle out with the stub shaft this morning. Got the new axle installed . Then i thought since I have it all apart I might as well do the ball joints. So I borrowed the ball joint press from Oreillys and bought the upper and lower joints. Well of course i ruined the new lower ball joint trying to press it in with that pos joint press. Let me tell ya those press kits need a bigger selection of spacers. So tomorrow I will buy a new joint and try to find a different joint press. :(
Don't give up. I have a 2011 1500 just had to go through the same thing. Beat on it for a day and thought about taking it to a mechanic but oh wait, front end was a part couldn't get it back together to drive it to the dealer. Did a little research wound up replacing the stub shaft and it was the best $300 I ever spent! I took the whole CV shaft out with the stub shaft on it in like 10 minutes and had the new axle and stub shaft back in with the new Hub in 45 minutes. Just break down buy the stub shaft! Apparently it's a known problem.
Ok, this whole thread has been my miserable day. Adding a leveling kit for my son and noticed the boot was tore and the damage inside was done, so decided to replace the cv shaft. I was just researching the stub shaft and located one. One quick question, why did the stub shaft not pop out when I was trying to get the CV shaft loose that wouldn’t budge? Is there a trick? I literally spent the entire day on this and am hoping I can get it back together tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts