DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy , I got stuck tonight was in 2wd, sooo i put it in 4wd than 4 low still could not get out got a pull now my 4low light is stuck on or if i put in 2wd or 4 hi 4 low flashes . my truck is a 2008 4.7 with the switch on the dash .
thanx in advance scott:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this problem, and with the responces here it seems to be very common.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's been addressed but...

I have a 2008 1500 4.7 and my 4x4 was not engaging, I tried to put it in 4 low and then it just started flashing the 4 low. it did not engage the 4wd but did the low. Now I cannot get it out of 4 low. I tried to change it in Neutral, in park while slow rolling, rolling after trying it in both park and neutral. So I guess 2 questions, first how to get it out of 4 low , second, where should I start to find out why the 4wd is not engaging? The vehicle only has 35,800 miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Dodge Ram 1500 2005 by accident I moved the shift knob ( which is now loose and won’t let me switch it to neutral) into 4L now when I drive and make sharp turns makes a noise front end as if metal was rubbing against each other.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I know it's been addressed but...

I have a 2008 1500 4.7 and my 4x4 was not engaging, I tried to put it in 4 low and then it just started flashing the 4 low. it did not engage the 4wd but did the low. Now I cannot get it out of 4 low. I tried to change it in Neutral, in park while slow rolling, rolling after trying it in both park and neutral. So I guess 2 questions, first how to get it out of 4 low , second, where should I start to find out why the 4wd is not engaging? The vehicle only has 35,800 miles on it.
It's not clear if the transfer case is electrically (dial on the dash) or manually (lever on the floor) operated. In the former, it's likely that there is an issue with the transfer case motor. A re manufactured one would prolly be less than $200. The R&R isn't too difficult. In the latter situation, there may be an issue with the linkage. A visual inspection would reveal that. In either case, it's possible to manually operate the transfer case mechanism to get it out of 4lo. For the electrically switched type, the transfer case motor does need to be removed to gain access to the actuator shaft. For the manual type, the actuator shaft is exposed and easier to operate manually. A GOOGLE search will certainly give many suggestions on "how to"!
I have a Dodge Ram 1500 2005 by accident I moved the shift knob ( which is now loose and won’t let me switch it to neutral) into 4L now when I drive and make sharp turns makes a noise front end as if metal was rubbing against each other.
Ya, you're stuck in 4Lo and ALL 4 are "locked" so that they all turn at the same speed all of the time. The noise you are hearing is bad news and it's possible that damage has been done. When making sharp turns, the outside wheel covers more distance than the inside wheel. Since the wheels are locked in unison, extreme stress is placed on the drive components of that inside wheel. With Winter driving or slippery roads surfaces, it's not much of an issue but on dry pavement, the drive components suffer.
Check out my above suggestions on how to get the transmission out of 4Lo. You may have a pretty big issue on your hands there ??.
RipVan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts