DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They say never go wheeling alone.. Better bring the dog. Lol

I recently got my first 4x4 and "had"to try it out. I ended up laying frame and did a little digging to help free up the truck. 4 lock wasn't doing the trick so I switched to 4 low and rocked between reverse and drive until I was free. During the process I heard A LOT of gear noise(grinding coming from front and rear dig) I waited until the tires stopped spinning to go back and forth from drive to reverse. Is that normal? I had to romp on 4 low just to get out. I tried to ease at it but all it did was dig deeper. Is it bad to romp the hell out of it in 4 low? By that I mean I had to get in it and the truck was at a high rpm but not for a long time.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Was it actually grinding or just whining? The extra gear multiplication of low range whines a bit which is normal, but grinding is not. That may be your clutch slipping.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I wouldn't say it is good for it to romp on it in 4 lo but you did find the proper technique for mud. The tires need to be spinning so the tread clears and you can get some traction. The noise, as mentioned, was most likely the reduction in the transfer case and perfectly normal. The front and rear differentials should NEVER make noise. You also may have heard some traction control intervention. Yes, it is supposed to be disabled in 4 lo but it isn't in my '15. You could have been hearing what is essentially ABS braking on spinning wheels. I am not sure your '12 has as extensive a nanny system as the newer trucks though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard the whining, not worried about that. It sounding like gears grinding(hammer dragging on concrete) It wasn't constant though. Only when I tried braking or right after I got on throttle from reverse to drive(vise versa) I don't know if that's common gear noise from the drive shaft taking up slack from spinning one direction to another. Maybe it's just a clutch slipping..

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Could be your 4wd engagement clutch slipping. There is a thread here on a kit that removes the clutch in favor of an actual locking mechanism between front and rear driveshafts, but you lose 4 auto

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I wouldn't say it is good for it to romp on it in 4 lo but you did find the proper technique for mud. The tires need to be spinning so the tread clears and you can get some traction. The noise, as mentioned, was most likely the reduction in the transfer case and perfectly normal. The front and rear differentials should NEVER make noise. You also may have heard some traction control intervention. Yes, it is supposed to be disabled in 4 lo but it isn't in my '15. You could have been hearing what is essentially ABS braking on spinning wheels. I am not sure your '12 has as extensive a nanny system as the newer trucks though.
This is a perfect explanation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts