DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some Recon lights for my truck and now after installing i'm really thinking about doing total blackout type of job, but i would then need to change chrome gas cap, chrome bug deflector, chrome grill, take badgeing off and change chrome side steps to black ones, dammit.. one thing that's definitely going first is the chrome bug shield.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
You could always paint color match ur chrome items to make them fit ur likeing. Truck bed liner on the step rails etc. Plasti dip works wonders also! Just some ideas!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i read another post saying they used plasti dip on the chrome grill... i am going to try this on the bug shield and grill when it warms up a little. Also am thinking of removing the badging, i have had the truck for over a year now, anybody know if there will be problems removing them?? leftover glue, paint mismatch type stuff?

·
Registered
68 Posts
did you do the lights all around? the reason im asking is i say get rid of the chrome on the sides then keep all the chrome on the front so it looks mean coming down the road plus i dont like the chrome gas flap just because i dont like things like that to stand out but thats just me as for the side steps check out the electric ones they fold in when the doors are closed i love mine they are out of sight until you need them plus they are lighted good luck

·
Registered
433 Posts
You should be fine as far as the glue residue and paint match issue. The problem is that you have black and black shows every little defect, scratch, etc. Black is IMO the pretiest color of all,, just a pain to clean and not show scratches and such. The plastic dip stuff is, well in one word...."awesome".... It works well and holds up better than you can imagine and if you don't like, I'm told it comes off easy too.. There are a few threads on here with great details on how to debadge your truck, all with great info,, check em out... well there's my 2 cents...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Black it out! Plasti Dip grill and nerf bars. I prob wouldn't do the bug deflector i think a dark tinted one would look better, too much plasti dip can look kind of tacky, but go for it if it doesn't look good it peels off with a little work, then you can sell it and get some money towards a new one. For the debadging get a 3m eraser wheel, a little spendy but well worth it. Does an awesome job and will save you hours of peeling and scraping with adhesive remover. I did one Hemi badge without it and it took me atleast 30min, got the wheel and did all the rest of the truck in about 45min.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Keep us updated and let us know how you make out.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
debaging is a snap use fishing line and let the line do the work very little pressure and they will come off easily,6 or 8" of line,long strokes.As for the residue use your fingers and pull down and away from residue,not up and it will lift off the body rather easy no left overs (hope that makes sense).I color matched my grill and it turned out excellant scuff a good plastic primer and Duplicolor color match (Brilliant black pearl) perfect match,emblems are duplicolor shadow paint for a black chrome look.Color matched the interior aswell looks way better than silver. hope this helped

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hopefully you did not buy recon over priced headlights when spyders are the same exact headlight only 200 cheaper

and hay read you missed a part on your interior

as far as the headlights here ya go black them out

before

after

finished look on truck

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hopefully you did not buy recon over priced headlights when spyders are the same exact headlight only 200 cheaper

and hay read you missed a part on your interior

as far as the headlights here ya go black them out

before

after

finished look on truck

Dodgert are you talking about around the instrument panal? I didn't see the need as it is not silver or I would have,I cleared with a semi gloss to keep the same sheen as the original.Nice job on the headlights they look good,I stuck with oem was a little concerned about HID's and halos (wiring).Going to throw in some PIAA extreme white bulbs and that should be good for now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
dodgert just looking at photos again did you paint your vent blades?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
dodgert just looking at photos again did you paint your vent blades?
Yes sir i did and i painted the piece around the gauges cause it was out so i could put my led switches in lol so figured ahh why not and as far as the halos and such they can be wired when the lights come on or to a switch mine are wired to the parking lights .

But ya here are the vents

easy no worth oh ya

·
Registered
132 Posts
dodgert I like what you did around the radio I was going to do that but thought it would be to much WRONG lol looks really good ,what kind of paint did you use and it is hard to tell but did you leave the chrome accents around the dials and on the door panels??

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
dodgert I like what you did around the radio I was going to do that but thought it would be to much WRONG lol looks really good ,what kind of paint did you use and it is hard to tell but did you leave the chrome accents around the dials and on the door panels??
Hd it painted at a shop with the same paint the truck has brilliant black pearl and ya left those pieces chrome for now

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To each his own, i think they look different... so not exactly the same, i know they look similar but exact same? no

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
If your talking about spyder and recon they are exactly the same plus the over priced recons you have to drill out ti fit hid's in

pretty damn similar to me

recon-549
spyder-240 no drilling required to install hid's ya

1 - 20 of 24 Posts