DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 2003 ram with the 4.7 in it as a little side project. Back story is that the previous owner spun a bearing in the engine, which I have still, and decided to swap in a lower mileage engine which he heard running before install and it ran smooth. It came from another ram. Post install he could not get it to spark, had fuel. So I decided to buy it and troubleshoot it. I am journeyman heavy duty tech and been turning wrenches for 20 years of so and can figure most things out but this one has me stumped somewhat. Anyhow onto what I have done:
1) I found 2 loose plugs at the ecm which had broken tabs, as well as 2 for the 1 and 7 cops. I repaired them with new ones from a junkyard run so that they clip in solid and made sure they were wired correctly.
2) I replaced both the cam and crank sensors as I had codes for the crank sensor P0335.
3) I turned the engine over and now I have spark but it seems to be firing out of order so I checked all the plugs to ensure the harness was routed correctly and it is via the pdf manual I downloaded for the truck.
4) It does fire now but it shoot flame out the exhaust, the only code I get now is for the heater for the primary o2 sensor bank 1. I have double checked all the fuses and relays (asd relay etc) and am stumped at this point save perhaps a bad ecm.
5) I verified that I have 49 psi of fuel pressure with the key on and cranking
6) I did check for the reference voltage at the crank and cam sensors and I get 5v reference as well as 5 v on the signal wires when turning the engine over with a socket and ratchet so I am pretty sure that that the ecm is seeing the singals.
So I am hoping that one of you may have seen something like this as I am not sure where to go with it next other than what I have checked. At this point I am thinking it has to be in the ecm. If the engine were that badly out of time then it would throw a code for it I would think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found my issue it has the 16 tooth reluctor wheel and the original is a 32 tooth hence the misfire out the exhaust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts