DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just need a definitive answer, does air suspension only benefit you by raising and lowering the truck or does it provide a better ride, less impact from bumps, etc? Thanks, BK

·
Registered
771 Posts
"Better ride" is subjective. I find it to be just as stiff as the conventional springs. It's a truck and it rides like a truck, air suspension or springs. The auto leveling is nice when you haul heavy loads or tow.

I love my air suspension because I can lower it to a height that's easy to get in and out of, without having steps or running boards and I can get some extra clearance for off-road. I hate my air suspension because it takes 20-30 seconds to move 3-4 inches, doesn't work all the time in really cold temps, sometimes just refuses to move at all "desired height not possible" message, and it also won't move when you're on an uneven surface and one of the corners is at a different height position from the others.

Because of the slow speed that it moves, you have to wait until you've slowed below 17 MPH, and then select the "Entry" position so that it actually lowers to that position by the time you stop and park. With all the "automatic" settings this truck has, a selection to "auto-lower" below 17 MPH should be available. Alternately it should have an "Express down" function that dumps the pressure to the tank when you forget to "pre-lower" the truck and just want to lower in a hurry.

·
Registered
301 Posts
"Better ride" is subjective. I find it to be just as stiff as the conventional springs. It's a truck and it rides like a truck, air suspension or springs. The auto leveling is nice when you haul heavy loads or tow.

I love my air suspension because I can lower it to a height that's easy to get in and out of, without having steps or running boards and I can get some extra clearance for off-road. I hate my air suspension because it takes 20-30 seconds to move 3-4 inches, doesn't work all the time in really cold temps, sometimes just refuses to move at all "desired height not possible" message, and it also won't move when you're on an uneven surface and one of the corners is at a different height position from the others.

Because of the slow speed that it moves, you have to wait until you've slowed below 17 MPH, and then select the "Entry" position so that it actually lowers to that position by the time you stop and park. With all the "automatic" settings this truck has, a selection to "auto-lower" below 17 MPH should be available. Alternately it should have an "Express down" function that dumps the pressure to the tank when you forget to "pre-lower" the truck and just want to lower in a hurry.
Not sure about prior generations, but on the 2019, it just takes less than 10 seconds to lower 2" from normal, and just as fast to go up to the highest (offload 2). Haven't had a chance to test it in cold weather just yet. We are in triple digits here in Houston.

Neurobit

·
Registered
771 Posts
Not sure about prior generations, but on the 2019, it just takes less than 10 seconds to lower 2" from normal, and just as fast to go up to the highest (offload 2). Haven't had a chance to test it in cold weather just yet. We are in triple digits here in Houston.

Neurobit
I'd heard they were going to improve the speed on the '19s. 10 seconds to move 2 inches is still pretty slow. The older ones are definitely slower.

I don't want to "hop" like a low rider, but I'd like my airbags to move this fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoz0PTV23Bo

·
Registered
247 Posts
I opted against air after having a limited for a day. I took it home, played around with it in my garage and while I can see a benefit for towing/hauling stuff (auto leveling), I have to agree..........."better" is subjective. I'm used to springs and can say I found the coils and air to be much better on Ram than springs. I didn't find either (air/coils) to be stiff, however that's subjective too. Because I actually stiffened up my GMC with Bilsteins because it had too much body roll in turns and bounced too much for me. I found "bounce" to be truck like and stiffness to be more like my sports cars. This is proof that you have to test drive for yourself because we all have different views and it's subjective.

On a funny note, my neighbor asked if my GMC setup rode rough.....My E rated tires. I told him, YES!! He said, well his buddies says it's smooth. I handed him my keys and told him to go ride a smooth road and enjoy the "smoothness" and then make sure to ride a bumpy road and one with some bumps, rail road tracks, small potholes, etc. He brought it back and said............"I'll keep my regular tires"

Having said that...........I didn't find enough difference between Ram with that great air suspension and Ram with the great coils. Air kinda scared me....just sitting there listening to it and waiting on it to raise and lower. I'm sure it's a great system tho

·
Registered
42 Posts
I drove a Limited and Laramie without air ride and in my opinion there is a huge improvement in ride quality. My Laramie has the air ride and everyone that rides in the passenger seat falls asleep in a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Ride height and load leveling are really it; to me the ride quality is the same

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
It will go into one of the modes and let you drive around. IIRC it is a limp condition

·
Registered
150 Posts
It gives the Chevy n Ford guys something to say “nobody needs that, one more thing to break” just like ram boxes n a 12” screen. Haters gonna hate.

I think it rides like an old school 70’s Cadillac or Lincoln with the air suspension. More comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Better ride imo.
Father in law just commented on the ride yesterday.
Plus I take out on beach. The additional on demand clearance is great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
only if you don't get cold weather

Before you buy air suspension you should google the problems thousands of ram owners have had with them. seems at temps lower then 15 or so many start to have problems. I live in Alaska where we get 40 below and I have had both a daughter and friend sell theirs because they were unable to even drive them in the winter due to dozens of malfunctions in just 2 years. They both took a big hit on trade in. The dealers up here won't even order them with it because they say it is too much hassle dealing with the problems. So if you live where its warm I would go for it otherwise flee for your life. :) I'm not anti ram by any means. We still have 4 in our family all 2014 and newer but the airsuspension in the cold can be a nightmare. :Wow1:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have owned 3 rams, 2 with air suspension and a Big Horn with coils. No question the quality of the ride with air suspension is far superior.

·
Registered
771 Posts
For those who find the air suspension ride to be superior to other Rams with springs, I'm wondering what it is that "feels" better? I've never driven or ridden in any other RAM (or even Dodge) pickup, ever, besides my '16 Rebel (with air suspension), and frankly, it rides like I expect any truck to ride. Stiff, transfers bumps to the entire chassis, not smooth or car-like in anyway. I can't imagine a spring truck riding any worse (or better). Although, I must say, the independent suspension on my '06 Ridgeline was pretty smooth, and I'm not sure how GM did it, but the ride on my '02 Avalanche Z71 was Cadillac-esque, especially on the highway.

I guess ride "smoothness" is subjective, because frankly, I don't think my air suspension is any better or worse than the springs/shocks on my old '79 C-10, but then again, I didn't buy it for it's ride quality, so I'm perfectly happy with the air suspension ride. Now the speed at which it changes positions.....that's another story.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have owned 3 rams, 2 with air suspension and a Big Horn with coils. No question the quality of the ride with air suspension is far superior.
You have way more 'air suspension' experience than me, but here is my opinion. Ram's coils are leaps and bounds smoother than GMC's leaf springs. That was the very first thing I noticed when I was test driving 19 Rams. Just much smoother overall. I consider them to be 'superior' to springs.....by a long shot. Ram, IMO, is almost 'car like'

I then decided to get a 19 Limited with air for about 1/2 day after I test drove one with coils for 1/2 a day..........and I couldn't discern "superior" when comparing to coils. They felt nearly identical to me....but far superior than springs. I will say that if I 'worked' my truck more with towing, hauling, campers, I would definitely go for air and I can see how they can be superior for those tasks.

Alot of guys install air shocks on Harleys. When compared to stock shocks, they are superior. When comparing to a high quality shock, they aren't. They are only superior in being able to adjust 'ride height' when fully loaded with passenger/gear.............ride quality are exactly the same and many riders remove air for high quality shocks after they've been left stranded with a broken compressor.

I think it's just so subjective from person to person. Hard/soft/smooth/quiet/loud/etc etc

·
Registered
153 Posts
You have way more 'air suspension' experience than me, but here is my opinion. Ram's coils are leaps and bounds smoother than GMC's leaf springs. That was the very first thing I noticed when I was test driving 19 Rams. Just much smoother overall. I consider them to be 'superior' to springs.....by a long shot. Ram, IMO, is almost 'car like'

I then decided to get a 19 Limited with air for about 1/2 day after I test drove one with coils for 1/2 a day..........and I couldn't discern "superior" when comparing to coils. They felt nearly identical to me....but far superior than springs. I will say that if I 'worked' my truck more with towing, hauling, campers, I would definitely go for air and I can see how they can be superior for those tasks.

Alot of guys install air shocks on Harleys. When compared to stock shocks, they are superior. When comparing to a high quality shock, they aren't. They are only superior in being able to adjust 'ride height' when fully loaded with passenger/gear.............ride quality are exactly the same and many riders remove air for high quality shocks after they've been left stranded with a broken compressor.

I think it's just so subjective from person to person. Hard/soft/smooth/quiet/loud/etc etc
I'm not saying that the ride quality is bad on the standard suspension it's better then all the other mfg's out there. It's just that the air suspension floats so much better. Drive over some railroad tracks and that will explain everything. Not related but the first thing I did to my 2018 CVO Road Glide was change the suspension and not to air. Super Shox with 3.5 inches of travel changed everything.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm not saying that the ride quality is bad on the standard suspension it's better then all the other mfg's out there. It's just that the air suspension floats so much better. Drive over some railroad tracks and that will explain everything. Not related but the first thing I did to my 2018 CVO Road Glide was change the suspension and not to air. Super Shox with 3.5 inches of travel changed everything.
^^^ This ^^^

You would not believe how awful the streets are here in Houston, and the air suspension soaks everything up and I can barely feel it. Much more car like then prior trucks I've owned (RAM included).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts