DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 days into my Ram ownership I have discovered how annoying the alarm is. I was outside doing some work and needed to get in the truck. The key fob was inside, but I had a key for the door/tailgate lock in my pocket.I unlocked the door and the alarm went off. I tried hitting the unlock button and that didn't do anything. So I run into the house and grab the fob. Lock button doesn't do it, unlock doesn't do anything, so I hit the panic button. That was a mistake. The horn went from once a second to once a half second. Now that I've annoyed all the neighbors, my question is if there is any way to disable the alarm. There's not much point in having a key to unlock the door if it sets of the alarm every time you use it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If your key is a chipped key, all you would need to do is insert the key and turn on to the ACC position to shut off the alarm. I have the same issue when I park my truck for a morning run and don't want to carry the big a$$ fob with me.

You can buy Dodge OEM chipped keys from many places online. You'll still need to have them cut and programmed. My dealer did that to 2 keys for $40 total. The keys cost $20 each on eBay. Once cut and programmed, they will unlock and start the vehicle.

Darin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truck came with 2 sets of these. The key goes into the ignition switch, but it won't turn. Is there any way to tell if the key is chipped or not? If I understand correctly a chipped key should turn the switch. I'm completely new to Ram, so forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The above mentioned chip is in the big honking fob thing-a-ma-jig. The key is something that I have not yet figured out why it was included... even after 2 years of ownership.

If you slide the gizmo that is near the bottom, just above the keyring hole, you'll find another key, that is much shorter. This will work on both the doors and the tailgate (just like the attached one), and I believe this is what Darin above was referring to.

I don't think there is a fix for your problem, except for perhaps keeping a key fob in your pocket. You could call your dealership's service department to inquire if the alarm can be deactivated, but I don't think it can be.

Exco

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually you can buy keys for the Dodge Ram with the programmable microchip inside. Here are pics of the key to show you the difference:

As you can see, they are a bit thicker than the plain metal key that comes with your remote control fob. Notice that this key has the extra bump out at the base of the metal key that fits in the ignition switch just like the remote control fob?

I paid $20 for each key from eBay, then paid my dealer $40 to cut and program 2 keys. They will unlock the door and start the truck just like the remote control fob. The only problem is the alarm will sound until you put this key in the ignition and turn to the ACC position.

And yeah that extra non-chipped plain key that Dodge provides seems pretty useless to me (other than I use it to lock/unlock my tailgate).

Darin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'm heading out of town for work tomorrow and will try to find a locksmith to see if they have a key like that. The closest I ever work to home is about an hour away, so I always keep an extra key with me. That would be a lot better in my pocket than a key fob.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the door lock thing doesn't work after all. The key still makes it go beep beep. I looked in the owners manual and it said it takes about 16 seconds to arm the alarm which is why it didn't go off when I tried it last. I went to the dealer today and they said they couldn't do anything about it. Then I went to a locksmith asking about a chipped key and he said I had to go to the dealer and bend over. So I guess I'm SOL unless anyone else has an idea. At least it was nice today and I gave my baby her first bath.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well you know what, your right. I just checked and it sets the alarm on mine too. I guess I was thinking of the wifes Durango. Sorry about that.

I guess this pretty much blows my career as a know-it-all.:sad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
My understanding is that the alarm is armed by using the interior lock button. Maybe try locking the doors manually or with the key? I don't think the alarm is armed if the doors are locked with the fob.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, the door lock thing doesn't work after all. The key still makes it go beep beep. I looked in the owners manual and it said it takes about 16 seconds to arm the alarm which is why it didn't go off when I tried it last. I went to the dealer today and they said they couldn't do anything about it. Then I went to a locksmith asking about a chipped key and he said I had to go to the dealer and bend over. So I guess I'm SOL unless anyone else has an idea. At least it was nice today and I gave my baby her first bath.
Your locksmith apparently hasn't heard of this amazing search engine called 'google'. :)

Here's the $20 transponder key that I bought:

https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Dodge/Ram+Pickup+Truck/2011/1001555/

You will need to have the dealer cut the key and program it for your truck. My dealer charged me $40 for cutting/programming 2 keys like these.

Darin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the link. I've been trying to find them online and haven't had much luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.