DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Ive done many installs in the past. I am planing on doing a head unit, amp and sub in my truck. My question can some one explain to me this pac audio cable? Do I need one ? I do not have steering wheel controls or anything like that. Im just confused and heard conflicting things. I have an 08 without any factory amps or anything.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you have NO steering wheel controls and NO factory amp you do not need no PAC adapter etc anywheres, simply wire into switched power

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you have NO steering wheel controls and NO factory amp you do not need no PAC adapter etc anywheres, simply wire into switched power
Ie the cigarette outlet?
This is what I read on other forums...
My truck has no other features other then the radio...

I watched that vid and no he doesnt really answer my question.

I just wanted to be 100 percent cause alot of places say its absolutely nec. to have. From what Im gathering now the 12 volt switch is basically the canbus feed, so that Ill need to find my own feed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't believe you do. I think that is only required if you have a factory deck and want to add an amp as the factory head unit does not have RCA cables. Or if you have steering wheel controls etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I read there is a connector for both circumstances. What Ive learned tonight researching this is the big difference is the 12 volt switched power which is non existent with the canbus. So in my case Ill have to pick that up somewhere else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, you dont need the PAC harness. I have a 2007 basic stereo with Aux in and 4 speakers in my Crew Cab. I just installed my new Headunit using this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1206502NAV/Metra-XSVI-6502-NAV-Chrysler-Interface.html?tp=3486 Granted this is mostly not needed either, but it allowed me not to have to cut up my factory harness and have the ability to remove the head unit in case i sell the truck without anyone ever knowing.

I paid 35$ for this through buying my head unit through Crutchfield; they give you 1/2 off harnesses when you buy a head unit.

I believe Scosche makes a harness as well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ie the cigarette outlet?
This is what I read on other forums...
My truck has no other features other then the radio...

I watched that vid and no he doesnt really answer my question.

I just wanted to be 100 percent cause alot of places say its absolutely nec. to have. From what Im gathering now the 12 volt switch is basically the canbus feed, so that Ill need to find my own feed.

Yes the cigerette outlet, just find which one goes OFF when key is off, tap that for your 12v power, after that you know the rest. Stay away from pac adapter if you can

·
Registered
611 Posts
You don't need the pac unless you don't want to cut wires... You can usually get away without one but I hate cutting wires on a newer vehicle. Find your switched and constant power and you are fine. I just did an install on my sons Silverado and the guy at Best buy swore up and down there is no way to do it without a harness / adapter kit. It works just fine...

·
Registered
206 Posts
A lot of times when people talk about PAC harnesses they are referring to PAC's interface harnesses that retain certain functions from stock stereo systems, ie: stock head units with aftermarket amps, using speaker wiring for source signals and retaining steering wheel controls, etc.

You don't need ANY harness for an install other than the one that comes with, and plugs directly into, an aftermarket radio. Power, ACC and ground wiring can all be run from variety of wires found behind the dash if you know what you are looking for. That being said, a vehicle wiring harness(does not have to be PAC's brand) is a convenient way to install any radio without having to cut up your truck's wiring and makes swapping radios down the road less of a headache. The harness I used was not a PAC brand and worked great, also it was about $35 cheaper.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool cool I'm good to go then. I got my head unit and my install kit will be here today, so this weekend I'll at least get the head unit and wiring installed for my sub. The box looks like it might not be here until Monday so Ill just get everything prepped and ready to go so when that arrives I can just throw her in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Almost done this weekend I got the head unit installed my ampInstalled and capacitor. My sub enclosure wont be here till tomorrow so all I gotta do is throw my sub in and then I'm done. I'm happy it came out very clean and there are no wires anywhere visible

1 - 17 of 17 Posts