DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just got done doing a couple mods to the truck this week(14 magnaflow and 2.5" HBS leveling kit) and soon to be air intake and HID (sorry off topic for min) but now my question is that im looking into getting either 2 10" subs mounted under the seat or make a custom box for a single 15" in middle floor space in my 2012 1500 cc. was wondering if i could use the stock head unit to run them off of? idk which model number i have but its just the basic one no bluetooth but i do have sat radio. i dont really want to go with an aftermarket head unit but i though about going with the 430N or 730N unit if that would work if the one i currently have wont work. and if i have to use aftermarket head unit i prob will but trying to avoid that if at all possible. thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can use any stock headunit to run an amp, to "control" it (as in gain adjustment), no. You just need to add a Line Out Converter. If you are not familiar with stereo wiring and such, I would recommend getting a stereo shop to do it for you. I have mine hooked up to the speaker wires feeding the front 2 door speakers. The converter is mounted behind the glove compartment. Tapping front or rear speaker wires really doesn't matter, you are just needing the audio signal, your amp will do the adjustment and amplification. I would recommend getting an amp with remote gain control (as I have on my JL 500/1). It makes it much easier to adjust the bass on the go. If you choose to attempt this on your own you also need to get the wiring schematic for the stereo system so you don't have to prod, poke, and guess which wires to tap into for the Line Out Converter (LOC). BTW, I am running 2 10's with a molded, ported "Fox Box" mounted under my rear seat (crew cab), and they sound great. Best of luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can use any stock headunit to run an amp, to "control" it (as in gain adjustment), no. You just need to add a Line Out Converter. If you are not familiar with stereo wiring and such, I would recommend getting a stereo shop to do it for you. I have mine hooked up to the speaker wires feeding the front 2 door speakers. The converter is mounted behind the glove compartment. Tapping front or rear speaker wires really doesn't matter, you are just needing the audio signal, your amp will do the adjustment and amplification. I would recommend getting an amp with remote gain control (as I have on my JL 500/1). It makes it much easier to adjust the bass on the go. If you choose to attempt this on your own you also need to get the wiring schematic for the stereo system so you don't have to prod, poke, and guess which wires to tap into for the Line Out Converter (LOC). BTW, I am running 2 10's with a molded, ported "Fox Box" mounted under my rear seat (crew cab), and they sound great. Best of luck.
Thanks for the info..I have done stereos in the past but have always replaced the headunit just didn't want to on my truck...ill have to look into the method you did

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts