DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2012 Crew Cab Sport with the Alpine System and I am fairly new to the audio game. I have been looking for a good configuration, but I can't make any major decision without consulting my comrades in the forum.

I am looking for a fairly versatile system so I can get tight bass and decent lows, with overwhelming volume outside of the vehicle not being a priority. I have seen nothing but good stuff about the Sundown SA 8 and SA 10. My major question is, should I do 2 8's in a ported enclosure, or 2 10's in a sealed? I don't want to make it so black/white, but is it really just the ported 8's would be louder (most likely) and the sealed 10's would be slightly more accurate, tight bass?

In terms of space, I fully intend on taking out that sorry excuse of a Alpine sub out, and replace it with whatever I install. If I do 2 ported 8's, I think I can get them both on passenger side, but the 10's would definitely monopolize all under seat real estate.

I would also like to keep my stock HU.

Once I decide on the sub config, I will be able to work with NetAudio a little more and get this thing taken care of.

How much difference is 2ohm from 1ohm? Obviously, the 1ohm is louder, but I think it makes a difference then between the D4 and the D2...

I appreciate any input, thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
why dont you just go with one 12 or 10 with a 2 channel amp? just up the wattage. i personally like 12" subs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
^^Agreed. One mid grade 12" sub sounds great and will keep up with just about any audio system. Sealed box is the only way to go imo, they produce much cleaner sound. My last car came with a pretty nice Alpine system that had 2 6.5" in rear, 2 6x9's in the dooor powered by their own amp for bass. Then it had tweets and midranges mounted above the 6x9's.. I added one 12" sub and a 300 watt amp. It worked out perfect. Very clear, clean and loud in the car. If you were standing beside the car, you barely could tell it had a system if the windows were rolled up. No shoe in the dryer thump, thump b.s.

N

·
0 Posts
Since I have been looking for the same thing I thought I would chime in here....
Now that I replaced my fronts and disconnected my Center (by far the biggest Alpine improvement yet). I'm looking for the same thing but as others have said (above), I'm looking for a decent mid priced single speaker. There are a lot to chose from so that's not a big problem.

My challenge is the enclosure. The stock one is a waste and I don't want to do any extreme mods just to replace my Sub. I also need to add an amp and then have a way to adjust it. Most of what I find are two speaker enclosures which involve back seat Mods and I'm not sure where I would pull/run the power for the amp.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i bought a daul 10" box, mounts under my backseat no adjustments and i stuffed a 1200w sony amp under the back seat as well. a lil cramped but no issues with heat ect... if i had a smaller amp I'd mount it under one of the front seats. Heres a link to the box I went with and yes I am happy with the sound, not much of it can be heard outside but it definaty shakes up the inside, especially when sitting in the back. I went with sony explode subs because i got a deal on them used from a friend. Imo kicker cant be beat, but pioneer is a cheaper route for good sound, just get a high wattage rating

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2012-D...er_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item5d41813da3&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry that one is for a daul 12" box but you get the idea, should be a link from there for simular boxes for 8" and 10"s

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've got a 2012 Crew Cab Sport with the Alpine System and I am fairly new to the audio game. I have been looking for a good configuration, but I can't make any major decision without consulting my comrades in the forum.

I am looking for a fairly versatile system so I can get tight bass and decent lows, with overwhelming volume outside of the vehicle not being a priority. I have seen nothing but good stuff about the Sundown SA 8 and SA 10. My major question is, should I do 2 8's in a ported enclosure, or 2 10's in a sealed? I don't want to make it so black/white, but is it really just the ported 8's would be louder (most likely) and the sealed 10's would be slightly more accurate, tight bass?

In terms of space, I fully intend on taking out that sorry excuse of a Alpine sub out, and replace it with whatever I install. If I do 2 ported 8's, I think I can get them both on passenger side, but the 10's would definitely monopolize all under seat real estate.

I would also like to keep my stock HU.

Once I decide on the sub config, I will be able to work with NetAudio a little more and get this thing taken care of.

How much difference is 2ohm from 1ohm? Obviously, the 1ohm is louder, but I think it makes a difference then between the D4 and the D2...

I appreciate any input, thanks!
If you are aren't looking for overwhelming bass I would say just go with one of any of the sa 8, 10, 12 as all three of them can deliver crazy amounts of bass. 500 rms for the 8 and 600 rms for the 10, 12.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is all great information so far. @ nopaydave, I think the 12" dual sub setup is the only one that requires seat spacers and mods, but on the bright side, the foxbox for 12"s comes with spacers and from what i read, just by adding those, you automatically get the bonus of the back seat folding forwards all the way so you get 3-4"s of clearance, perfect for an amp. If you're thinking of only doing an 8 or a 10 sub, then I think seat mods are out of the question. (I could be wrong.)

As for everyone who suggests the 12" single sub setup, I guess my inexperience is what is causing me to be hesitant here. My last vehicle, I had 1 10" MTX 7500 running @ 2ohms on 400W, and it was good, but not great. Had I not got my truck, I definitely would have upgraded to 2 10"s and not 2 12's. I have it stuck in my head that the smaller subs are more responsive, and if you're listening to faster paced music, as opposed to something like Rap, then the smaller sub would be better for this. It just wouldn't hit crazy lows.

I am down for getting just 1 12", but inside my head I say "Why not get 2?" because I a can't contain my curiosity.

In any instance, I have only had sealed boxes before and I have been happy with the tight sound. My question is, if the box is ported, besides being louder, does it allow for the sub to hit lower tones? And, I have read that the Sundown's are meant for 1 type of enclosure better than the other, is that true?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you get one high end 12, it'll sound better then 2 10"s i.m.o. or just as good. 8s delever a chrisp sound but they wont rock you seat, 12s wont be quite as chrisp but you will feel it more. So its just a question of personal prefferance. Like I mentioned the daul 10" box required no mods and thats what sold me on it. I'd love to upgrade to a kicker solobaric for the sound quaility (the square ones) but with the magnet size on them I have serious questions that they would ever be able to fit bigger then 2 8"s under the seat. Haven't seen any boxes made for them and a Ram though.
The notes that a sub will hit is mainly adjusted on your amp I'm not sure if ported or sealed box will make a differance, although ported boxes do seam to hit harder to me...But I could be wrong

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty sure that if we make this black/white, we can say that ported means louder, and sealed means tighter bass. I think if I run 2 SA 8's, 10's or 12's in a sealed box, I can compensate for some of the loss in volume by pushing more power. From what I have read, these subs can take a hell of a lot of power. I think I have removed my mind from thinking of the 8's and now I am between the 10s or 12's. With the sealed box option, I think the 12's might be responsive enough to make me happy. In my head, they'll get me the SQ I want and more than enough DB to suffice.

The question now becomes, what amp do I run to my sealed SA- 12s?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends on where you want to mount it. Digital amps have a smaller footprint but are more $. If you have small children go with 10"s, if not 12"s Louder is always better you can always turn it down ;). If you go with 12"s you will be limited as to which ones you can fit because the boxes will narrow on the bottom to fit the way our underseat is. Magnet size varies greatly in brands, but a genral rule is more watt rating = bigger magnet and louder bass.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If it was me I would forget the 12 SA and go with one of sundowns z 10. They run 1500 rms then you would not worry about the sub fitting in both sides.

·
Registered
469 Posts
if your worried about space look into shallow mount subs. can pick up a pioneer premier shallow mount 12" sub with like 400rms for about 200. will kick out 1500 watts max that with say a 1200 watt amp and your laughing. i would add a power cap tho. helps keep the constant drop in power from putting a load on your battery.

its really simple to run the wire too. just pull it right through a rubber in the firewall. and run it along the bottom of the doors under the molding. make sure the ground is on bare clean metal tho, thats a must!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW3001S2%7CS4
sub^^^

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The boxes for the 10" Duals by NetAudio and the Fox box, both require no modding as far as I know. The 12" Dual boxes require spacers and such. I like the idea of the NetAudio stuff being fully custom and it not covering the cup holders or taking up any unnecessary space. The Fox Box gets tons or hype but it is a little bulky and made of plastic. I don't know if this matters.

I'm not concerned with space since this truck has so many compartments and such. I think that if I do the 12" subs, I would have the ability to fold the seats down so I would mount the amp to the back wall. If I do the 10"s, then I don't know. I don't like the idea of under the front seat, so maybe there'd be space under the rear bench. Someone on here mentioned that is what they have done.

Any suggestions on boxes between those 2 options? Will the sundown 10's or 12's sound good in a sealed box? I think I would do a 2000W Amp.

·
Registered
379 Posts
first off, I would add the 5/8" spacers (make them yourself) to raise the seat just so you can flip the backs forward and install your subwoofer amp on the back wall...regardless of subwoofer size that you choose.

From what I have read, you should run two 10's sealed in a netaudio box...fox is a close 2nd place. Two 10's have more cone area than one 12 so you will have more output from the pair of tens...sealed vs sealed. Sealed and ported both have their pros and cons but that's another story. Due to limited air space, I would run the tens sealed and give them a good dose of power to over come what output you will lose going sealed versus ported. Sundown makes great woofers, but they are def geared towards SPL. Iam not saying an SA8,10,or 12 wont have good SQ, because they can...but that solely depends on the box. Even sundown will say their more SPL oriented. Now if that's what you're looking for, than buy some.

As someone has already said, it comes down to what you want and what your goals are, and what type of music you like to listen to. There are a handful of subs I would run before the SA's if SQ was my goal.

And for the record, a pair of 8's will rattle your truck and play all the way down to 20hz as long as the enclosure is designed for those 8's. And 12's can be just as punchy as 8's as long as you know what you are doing when designing a box.
I hate that stigma....12's are boomy and sloppy versus 8's.....total B.S.!
Decide what subs you want, then figure out the power needs

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
first off, I would add the 5/8" spacers (make them yourself) to raise the seat just so you can flip the backs forward and install your subwoofer amp on the back wall...regardless of subwoofer size that you choose.

From what I have read, you should run two 10's sealed in a netaudio box...fox is a close 2nd place. Two 10's have more cone area than one 12 so you will have more output from the pair of tens...sealed vs sealed. Sealed and ported both have their pros and cons but that's another story. Due to limited air space, I would run the tens sealed and give them a good dose of power to over come what output you will lose going sealed versus ported. Sundown makes great woofers, but they are def geared towards SPL. Iam not saying an SA8,10,or 12 wont have good SQ, because they can...but that solely depends on the box. Even sundown will say their more SPL oriented. Now if that's what you're looking for, than buy some.

As someone has already said, it comes down to what you want and what your goals are, and what type of music you like to listen to. There are a handful of subs I would run before the SA's if SQ was my goal.

And for the record, a pair of 8's will rattle your truck and play all the way down to 20hz as long as the enclosure is designed for those 8's. And 12's can be just as punchy as 8's as long as you know what you are doing when designing a box.
I hate that stigma....12's are boomy and sloppy versus 8's.....total B.S.!
Decide what subs you want, then figure out the power needs
What subs would you recommend that would be great for SQ in the $200 or less range, in a dual 10" or 12" sealed setup?

·
Registered
379 Posts
What subs would you recommend that would be great for SQ in the $200 or less range, in a dual 10" or 12" sealed setup?
Oh man... Here's a short list
Image Dynamics idq's or idmax
Fi Q's
Dayton HF's
TC Sounds
RE Audio
Seas L26's
CSS SDX10/12's
Arc Audio (i run their BLACK series... Two 12's)
Alpine Type R's can be very musical too, depends on box
All these manufacturers steer more towards the musical aspect of sub design.
They all sound different too
Im a huge fan of Arc Audio & Image Dynamics. They will get LOUD too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh man... Here's a short list
Image Dynamics idq's or idmax
Fi Q's
Dayton HF's
TC Sounds
RE Audio
Seas L26's
CSS SDX10/12's
Arc Audio (i run their BLACK series... Two 12's)
Alpine Type R's can be very musical too, depends on box
All these manufacturers steer more towards the musical aspect of sub design.
They all sound different too
Im a huge fan of Arc Audio & Image Dynamics. They will get LOUD too!
I think I have seen your pics on here, you've got the fox box right? I dont recall if it was ported or sealed, but do you have any vids of it now that you've got the Arcs in there?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts