DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy new shocks for my 05 2wd ram. Are there any shocks I can get that will lift the front end up a few inches? What are the pros and cons of stiff and soft shocks? Which brand would you reccomend? Thanks, I'm really trying to get some lift out of these new shocks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
shocks wont lift your truck, if you want a little lift, get a spacer.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hey man. If you want to raise your truck in the front a couple inches then i recommend getting a spacer. If you do want to replace your shocks then look at Ranchero, they have a strut/shock that also lift the truck in the front a coupel inches. You can get a set of shocks from them in the back as well. i have heard good things about them, take a look.

If you just want to get a spacer you can look at Daystar and maybe Bilstein for shocks. Thats what i am going to do. i have the Daystar and now I'm looking at some Bilsteins for the shocks front and rear

·
Registered
32 Posts
The spacer is usually the cheapest way to level the front end as everyone has stated. I'm curious though why you are going to lift it? I can understand the spacer for looks, but why a lift on a 2wd. Not trying to start anything, just wondering.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spacer is usually the cheapest way to level the front end as everyone has stated. I'm curious though why you are going to lift it? I can understand the spacer for looks, but why a lift on a 2wd. Not trying to start anything, just wondering.
I plan on getting Daystar spacers, but I need to replace my shocks and if I can, I would like to get a couple inches out of them. It may be 2wd but I'm not taking it rock-climbing or driving through ponds so my 2wd is plenty for me. I need the extra few inches of clearance so I can stop dragging my bumpers when I'm driving to the duck hunting spots or driving to the deer stand. I mean if you're willing to give me the $$ for the 4wd conversion I'll happily take it :] lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man. If you want to raise your truck in the front a couple inches then i recommend getting a spacer. If you do want to replace your shocks then look at Ranchero, they have a strut/shock that also lift the truck in the front a coupel inches. You can get a set of shocks from them in the back as well. i have heard good things about them, take a look.

If you just want to get a spacer you can look at Daystar and maybe Bilstein for shocks. Thats what i am going to do. i have the Daystar and now I'm looking at some Bilsteins for the shocks front and rear
Yeah I have been looking at Daystar for a spacer but they only have 1 inch and 1.5 inch for my truck. Would you recommend putting two 1.5 inch on for a combined 3 inches? Explain how the shock/strut combo will lift it a couple of inches. I'm new to the suspension side of the world. My guess was that if I got longer/stiffer shocks they would push me up a little higher and have less "sag" if you will.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Yeah I have been looking at Daystar for a spacer but they only have 1 inch and 1.5 inch for my truck. Would you recommend putting two 1.5 inch on for a combined 3 inches? Explain how the shock/strut combo will lift it a couple of inches. I'm new to the suspension side of the world. My guess was that if I got longer/stiffer shocks they would push me up a little higher and have less "sag" if you will.
I will post the link to Rancho so you can see this set up. I think you will be happy with this since you want to get new shocks anyway. It makes more sense to do this then to get spacers and shocks instead of an all in one set up

http://www.gorancho.com/products/shocks/quicklift.php

Link to Moes Performance so I'm not bashing our supporters : http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_26_1185&products_id=9160

Rancho Quicklift suspension lift systems are easy-to-install solutions that raise the front suspension and improve ride quality. Quicklift systems provide an aggressive vehicle stance and offer the option of adding larger tire and wheel packages. Rancho Quicklift systems use Rancho's My-Ride 9-position ride tuning struts and shock absorbers and are designed to reuse the original equipment coil springs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will post the link to Rancho so you can see this set up. I think you will be happy with this since you want to get new shocks anyway. It makes more sense to do this then to get spacers and shocks instead of an all in one set up

http://www.gorancho.com/products/shocks/quicklift.php

Link to Moes Performance so I'm not bashing our supporters : http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_26_1185&products_id=9160

Rancho Quicklift suspension lift systems are easy-to-install solutions that raise the front suspension and improve ride quality. Quicklift systems provide an aggressive vehicle stance and offer the option of adding larger tire and wheel packages. Rancho Quicklift systems use Rancho's My-Ride 9-position ride tuning struts and shock absorbers and are designed to reuse the original equipment coil springs.
Thanks. What do you have on your truck? Will the Rancho combo work with a 2wd?

·
Registered
133 Posts
topguncustomz.com, ive said it before i'll say it again, 90 bucks for 3 inch STEEL spacers, metal spacers is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Yea Reider he wants to get new shocks anyways. So i showed him a setup that will give him a lift and shocks.

I have the Daystar lift kit 2.5". I want to get the Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear. I don't know if you want to do that as well or get the Rancho lift. I think the Rancho shocks would be good. I think you should look at the price and decide with that.

You question about stacking spacer, I don't think hats a good idea. They may shift or something like that. Same goes for blocks they shouldn't be stacked.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i believe its still cheaper to piece it together with the 3 inch spacers from topguncustomz and if he wants an add a leaf from jcwhitney for 50 bucks, but with a 2 wheel drive i dont know that you would need an add a leaf because the back already sits higher than the front, and then for the basic rancho shocks you can get those just about anywhere for pretty cheap, so 90 for the spacer, 50 for add a leaf if needed, and about 30 bucks or less for the basic rancho shocks- so yer looking at $210 w/o add a leaf, and $260 with add a leaf, plus of course shipping. and for the shocks if you shop around a little im sure you can find the ranchos for cheap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
topguncustomz.com, ive said it before i'll say it again, 90 bucks for 3 inch STEEL spacers, metal spacers is the way to go.
I've looked up the spacers on topguncustomz.com and all they have is 1 and 1.5 inchs. Where do you see the 3 inch? Thats exactly what I want. Does it matter what band vehicle I order it from. Like can I get a 3 inch spacer for a ford and use it on my dodge?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've looked up the spacers on topguncustomz.com and all they have is 1 and 1.5 inchs. Where do you see the 3 inch? Thats exactly what I want. Does it matter what band vehicle I order it from. Like can I get a 3 inch spacer for a ford and use it on my dodge?
i know its in there, i couldnt tell you on the ford thing, i think if they were the same diameter and same mounting i think it would be ok, but ive never done that.

http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=191687046

i just read on topguncustomz that those spacers wont fit 2wd, so i apologize for mis-information, but i know there are still ways to get a small lift without spending a lot of money. just do a little research.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you need new shocks and want more height I say spend the money if you can and buy a full suspension lift kit. A 3 to 4 inch suspension lift would be plenty for a 2WD.

Im just saying if your going to go and buy new front shocks and spacers then just take that money and buy a complete suspension kit and have it done with. Then you dont have to worry about replacing the other parts that you didnt do in the first place. Say you replace just the front shocks but the rears are 5 years old. Now say in 5 years your rears go and you replace them. Well now your fronts are 5 years old and the sets will never be new together. Freshen up everything together and you will be happy. Do half and it will be never ending.

I see you have a lift kit in the mail.... is that still a go ??

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you need new shocks and want more height I say spend the money if you can and buy a full suspension lift kit. A 3 to 4 inch suspension lift would be plenty for a 2WD.

Im just saying if your going to go and buy new front shocks and spacers then just take that money and buy a complete suspension kit and have it done with. Then you dont have to worry about replacing the other parts that you didnt do in the first place. Say you replace just the front shocks but the rears are 5 years old. Now say in 5 years your rears go and you replace them. Well now your fronts are 5 years old and the sets will never be new together. Freshen up everything together and you will be happy. Do half and it will be never ending.

I see you have a lift kit in the mail.... is that still a go ??
why spend all that money on stuff you dont necessarily need? all you need are spacers and maybe an add a leaf, and shocks, if the old ones are worn out. why spend 500-600 for a lift that small? when you can just piece it together for less than half of that? there are a lot of ways to lift a vehicle, you dont always need to throw a big chunk of change down on an out of the box lift kit, when you can do a little research and piece on together for less money, maybe money is no object for some people, but as for me and most others, saving money and still being able to do it right is a good way to go. but, do what ever floats your boat.:eek:ld:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I bought 3 inch lift Rough Country spindles from ebay for like $200 used on my 2wd and I love it. Once I wear out my tires, I'll be adding the Daystar spacers that are sitting in my toolbox, new shocks all the way around, and bumping the rear end up to the last notch on my lift shackles. I don't do any puddling jumping but the extra ground clearance is nice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick question, Could I put two 1 1/2 inch spacers in the front for a combined 3 inches? I'm trying to get like 4-6 inches in the front so I can block the back and it sit somewhat level still

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would not recommend that man. I know your not suppposed to stack blocks so I wouldn't stack the spacers.
3" lift you will need to do the whole suspension. 2" is the most your going to get from spacers maybe 2.5". I really think to meet your expectations your going to need a suspension kit

1 - 20 of 27 Posts