DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I have some issues with my sunroof and I spent sometime searching online and could not find a solution for RAM trucks so I'm just gonna post what I did/found.

The problem was that my sunroof was leaking but that was because the drain hoses on the front were clogged. It was an easy fix. Open the driver/passenger door and about 6 inches above the bottom hinge you will see a rubber plug. That's the exit for the drain water. After few years it gets clogged with dirt. Pull it out and disconnect from the blue drain line. Drop the headliner just enough you could disconnect the hose from the sunroof. I used my lungs to blow the dirt out because the hoses are plastic and become somewhat fragile after years. Pour some water down the hose to get all crap out so new dirt has nothing to hold on to. Reconnect the rubber plugs on the driver/passenger side and you good to go. Took me about 20 mins to do the both sides (1.5hr to figure it out).

Another problem was that my sunroof only had VENT position and could not slide back. So I took it apart. The mechanism that slides the sunroof is damaged. If you hear your roof want to slide backward but does not it means the pin is broken (i'm pointing with a screwdriver on the image where is it). That pin on the inside plate where the screwdriver points. From what I could see, it can only be replaced with the aluminum rail-guide. I could not pull it out and seems like it's connected to the screw guide that moves the sunroof.
If you hear a clicking noise (like 2-3 clicks a second) it means that one side is moving and another one is slipping. It adds like 1 hour of work because you will have to drop the sunroof motor down and align the both sides of the sunroof manually. The motor is connected by three screws. I didn't drop the headliner all the way down so it took some time to disconnect it. I think it was 8mm socket. When the guides were misaligned I pressed the button to closed position and when aligned the guides manually.
Grease everything while you have it apart.

If you think your sunroof is not flush with the roof, pop the accordion cover on both sides and you will see two screws on each side (t20 I think). Unscrew them halfway. Align the sunroof so it's flush and screw them back. It's better if you have someone to help you. Doing it alone is a pain but possible. The holes for alignment in the sunroof are about 1/4" so it should work.

I'm posting images for reference.
I hope this will help someone. :smiley_thumbs_up:
Sorry for long post.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Must have been hard to crawl inside that sun roof to get those pictures, I am impressed, great job and write up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice tutorial and the pics are awesome. Thanks for bringing this forward. I was having some similar issues with my sunroof and when the dealership got their hands on my truck they butchered the job completely. In short the monkey working on the problem ended up breaking some of the plastic components and at one point the sunroof was not functioning at all while I waited for parts that took almost 2 months to come in. Needless to say a very frustrating ordeal but on a positive note it didn't cost me a cent. I will definitely bring this to my dealers attention so they know what to do in the future. A big thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice tutorial and the pics are awesome. Thanks for bringing this forward. I was having some similar issues with my sunroof and when the dealership got their hands on my truck they butchered the job completely. In short the monkey working on the problem ended up breaking some of the plastic components and at one point the sunroof was not functioning at all while I waited for parts that took almost 2 months to come in. Needless to say a very frustrating ordeal but on a positive note it didn't cost me a cent. I will definitely bring this to my dealers attention so they know what to do in the future. A big thanks.
THanks! The plastic parts on my sunroof are not in good shape. The only thing in good shape is the glass and the motor, everything else is crap by now. I guess engineers decided that plastic lasts longer than metal...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts